- State Failure and Global Governance
- UN Peace Operations and Responsibility to Protect
- Development Policy in War-torn Societies
- Aid Regimes and Practices of the Development Cooperation
- Violence Prevention and Peacebuilding
- Hybrid Political Orders in Fragile Environments
- Participation in the Regional Development Cooperation in Central Asia based on the Example of Kirgizstan and Tajikistan
- The Functionality and Dysfunctionality of Corruption in the Transformation of Contemporary Societies
- Instruments and Procedures of German Develoment Cooperation in Post-Conflict Situations
|11/2009-03/2010||Herzliya Interdisciplinary Center (IDC), Tel Aviv & Al-Quds University, Jerusalem & Royal Scientific Society, Amman
Guest Lecturer, funded by the Federal State of North Rhine Westphalia
|11/2008-01/2009||Herzliya Interdisciplinary Center (IDC), Tel Aviv & Al-Quds University, Jerusalem
Guest Lecturer, funded by the Federal State of North Rhine Westphalia
|09/2008-10/2008||Fudan University, Shanghai, China
|04/2008-03/2010||Institute of Political Science, University of Duisburg-Essen
|Since 05/2006||Institute of Development and Peace / Institut für Entwicklung und Frieden (INEF), University of Duisburg-Essen
|Since 04/2006||Institute of Political Science, University of Duisburg-Essen
Professor for International Relations and Development Policy
|08/2004-04/2006||Institute of Development and Peace (INEF), University of Duisburg-Essen
|04/2003-03/2004||Center for Development Research / Zentrum für Entwicklungsforschung (ZEF), University of Bonn
Interim Professor for Political and Cultural Transformation
|02/2003-07/2004||Center for Development Research (ZEF), University of Bonn
Head of the Research Group “Governance and Conflict”
|1997-2003||Development and Peace Foundation / Stiftung Entwicklung und Frieden (SEF), Bonn
|1991-1996||Institute for Development and Peace (INEF) and Institute for Political Science, University of Duisburg
Debiel, Tobias / Held, Thomas / Schneckener, Ulrich (eds.) (2016): Peacebuilding in Crisis: Rethinking Paradigms and Practices of Transnational Cooperation, London et al.: Routledge (Global Cooperation Series; Vol. 2).
Debiel, Tobias / Rinck, Patricia (2016): Rethinking the Local in Peacebuilding: Moving Away From the Liberal/Post-Liberal Divide, in: Tobias Debiel et al. (eds.), Peacebuilding in Crisis: Rethinking Paradigms and Practices of Transnational Cooperation, London et al., 240–56.
Wulf, Herbert / Debiel, Tobias (2015): India’s ‘strategic autonomy’ and the club model of global governance: why the indian brics engagement warrants a less ambiguous foreign policy doctrine, in: Strategic Analysis 33 (1): 27–43.
Debiel, Tobias / Gawrich, Andrea (eds., in collaboration with Holger Niemann) (2013): (Dys-)Functionalities of Corruption: Comparative Perspectives and Methodological Pluralism, Zeitschrift für Vergleichende Politikwissenschaft (ZfVP)/ Comparative Governance and Politics, Vol. 7, Supplement 1, Special Issue 3, Wiesbaden: Springer VS
Debiel, Tobias / Gawrich, Andrea (2013): (Dys-)Functionalities of Corruption (Editorial), in: T. Debiel / A. Gawrich (eds., in collaboration with Holger Niemann) (2013): (Dys-)Functionalities of Corruption: Comparative Perspectives and Methodological Pluralism, Zeitschrift für Vergleichende Politikwissenschaft (ZfVP)/ Comparative Governance and Politics, Vol. 7, Supplement 1, Special Issue 3, Wiesbaden: Springer VS, 1–11
Chadwrick, Wren / Debiel, Tobias / Gadinger, Frank (eds.) (2013): Relational Sensibility and the 'Turn to the Local'. Prospects for the Future of Peacebuilding. With Contributions from Volker Boege, Morgan Brigg, David Chandler, kai Koddenbrock, and Loius Wiuff Moe, Global Dialogues 2, Duisburg: Käte hamburger Kolleg/Centre for Global Cooperation Research (KHK/GCR21)
Chadwrick, Wren / Debiel, Tobias / Gadinger, Frank (2013): The (Liberal) Emperor's New Clothes? Relational Sensibility and the Future of Peacebuilding (Editorial), in: W. Chadwrick / T. Debiel / F. Gadinger (eds.) (2013): Relational Sensibility and the 'Turn to the Local'. Prospects for the Future of Peacebuilding. With Contributions from Volker Boege, Morgan Brigg, David Chandler, Kai Koddenbrock, and Loius Wiuff Moe, Global Dialogues 2, Duisburg: Käte Hamburger Kolleg/Centre for Global Cooperation Research (KHK/GCR21), 6–11
Debiel, Tobias / Hippler, Jochen / Roth, Michèle / Ulbert, Cornelia (eds., translated by Hillary Crowe) (2012): Global Trends 2013. Peace - Development - Environment, Bonn: Stiftung Entwicklung und Frieden (SEF)
Debiel, Tobias / Roth, Michèle / Ulbert, Cornelia (2012): Global Governance Under Pressure: Trends and Outlook, in: Debiel, Tobias / Hippler, Jochen / Roth, Michèle / Ulbert, Cornelia (eds.): Global Trends 2013. Peace - Development - Environment. Bonn: Stiftung Entwicklung und Frieden (SEF), 11–23
Debiel, Tobias / Lambach, Daniel (2012): State Fragility as a Development Policy Challenge, in: Rural 21, 01/2012, 6–9
Debiel, Tobias / Pech, Birgit (2011): Corruption as an Obstacle to Development? Taking Stock of Research Findings and the Effectiveness of Policy Strategies, in: UNIKATE 40/2011, 16–25
Debiel, Tobias / Daniel Lambach / Birgit Pech (2011): Goodbye to Good Governance? How Development Discourse Copes with State Failure in: Global Dialogue, Volume 13, Number 1, Winter/Spring 2011 (Issue on Failed States)
Debiel, Tobias / Herbert Wulf (2010): Systemic Disconnects: Why Regional Organizations Fail to Use Early Warning and Response Mechanisms in: Global Governance, Jg. 16, Nr. 4, 525–47
Debiel, Tobias / Daniel Lambach (2010): Global Governance as Self-Deception? How the Western State-building Project neglects Local Realities in: Michael Brzoska / Axel Krohn (Eds.): Overcoming Armed Violence in a Complex World: Essays in Honor of Herbert Wulf. Opladen: Budrich, 163–84
Debiel, Tobias / Dirk Messner / Franz Nuscheler / Michele Roth / Cornelia Ulbert (eds.): Global Trends 2010. Peace - Development - Environment. Bonn: Stiftung Entwicklung und Frieden, 103 pp.
Debiel, Tobias / Michele Roth / Cornelia Ulbert (2010): Global Trends in the Shadow of the World Financial Crisis: Challenges, Power Shifts and Options for Global Governance in: Tobias Debiel / Dirk Messner / Franz Nuscheler / Michele Roth / Cornelia Ulbert (Eds.): Global Trends 2010. Peace - Development - Environment. Bonn: Stiftung Entwicklung und Frieden, 9–18
Co-Editor of Various Publications:
- Globale Trends
- Peace Report 2011 / Friedensgutachten 2011
- Die Friedens-Warte / Journal of International Peace and Organization
Consulting Work for:
- German Research Foundation / Deutsche Forschungsgemeinschaft (DFG)
- Friedrich-Ebert-Stiftung (FES)
- 'Formal Institutions and World Society', Discussant at the Panel 'World Society in the Making: Varieties of Transnational Institutions, International Conference', organized by Käte Hamburger Kolleg / Centre for Global Cooperation Research, 7 December 2015 in Duisburg, Germany.
- 'Varieties of Multilateralism: India's Perspectives on Global Cooperation', Paper presented at ‘Changing Asia: Perspectives on Regional and Global Cooperation’ at the German Institute on Global and Area Studies (GIGA), 17 April 2015 in Hamburg, Germany.
- 'Peacebuilding Makes Strange Bedfellows: On the Political Economy of International-Local ‘Partnerships’ in Post-Conflict Sierra Leone', Paper presented at the Annual Convention of the International Studies Association (ISA) (Panel 'Moving Hybridity Forward: Practical Approaches on the Ground', with Patricia Rinck), 20 February 2015 in New Orleans, USA.
- 'Rethinking the Local in Peacebuilding: Moving Away From the Liberal/Post-Liberal Divide', Paper presented at the Annual Convention of the International Studies Association (ISA) (Panel 'Moving Hybridity Forward: Practical Approaches on the Ground', with Patricia Rinck), 21 February 2015 in New Orleans, USA.
- 'Hybridity, Relational Sensibility and the Local - On the Limits of Post-liberal Peacebuilding', Presentation at the International Symposium 'Peacebuilding in Crisis: Experience and New Perpsectives', 24 January 2014 at the University of Osnabrück.
- 'Human Security: Pitfalls of a Stunningly Influential Concept', Paper (with Sascha Werthes), presented at the Third Conference of the International Humanitarian Studies Association on "Human Security: Humanitarian Perspectives and Responses', 24 to 27 October 2013 in Istanbul, Turkey.
- 'International Development Cooperation and Good Governance', Lecture at the University of Development Studies (UDS), Faculty of Education, in Tamale, Ghana, on July 16th, 2013
- 'Ethics and Development Policy', Presentation at the International Workshop on 'Ethics in the Practice of Development Cooperation', organized by Arbeitsgemeinschaft Entwicklungsethnologie (AGEE) and INEF on 15th June 2012 at the Gustav-Stresemann-Institut, Bonn, Germany.
- 'Brazil: Responsibility to protect (and to prevent) / Responsibility while protecting', contribution at the Workshop 'The EU and its Partnerships with New Players', organized by the Federal Foreign Office and GIGA on 12th June 2012 in Berlin.
- 'Goodbye to Good Governance? How the Development Discourse Copes with State Failure', Opening Conference Presentation of UAMR Graduate Center for Development Studies in Bochum on 15th November 2011 (Working Group on 'Paradigms and Myths in International Development Cooperation'). The presentation was based on a paper co-prepared by Dr. Daniel Lambach and Birgit Pech.
- 'Global Governance meets Local Politics: On Western State-building and the Resilience of Hybrid Political Orders'; The presentation was held in the Global Conference of the International Peace Research Association (IPRA) 2010 in Sydney on 8th July 2010, Panel 'Hybrid Political Orders, Peacebuilding and State Formation: Experiences from Africa, the Pacific and Asia'. The presentation is based on a paper co-prepared by Dr. Daniel Lambach.
- 'Systematic Failure? The Inadequate Use of Conflict Early Warning and Response Mechanisms by Regional Organisations'; The presentation was jointly held by INEF Adjunct Senior Researcher Prof. Dr. Herbert Wulf at the Australian Center for Peace and Conflict Studies (ACPACS), University of Queensland, 23rd June 2010 in Brisbane, Australia.
- 'With Fighting Corruption to a 'Take Off' Towards Reaching the MDGs? On Opportunities and Limitations of a Strategy for Development”; The paper was jointly prepared and presented by Birgit Pech in the Workshop 'The (Dys-) Funcitonality of Corruption: Comparative Analyses for Industrial, Transforming and Developing Countries' on 16th December 2009 in Duisburg, Germany.
- 'Norm-building through the Practice of Interventionism: How the UN Security Council Contributed to the Emergence of the 'R2P''; The paper was jointly prepared and presented by Holger Niemann and Nils Goede, in the conference 'The Future of Statebuilding: Ethics, Power and Responsibility in International Relations' at the University of Westminster from 9th to 11th October 2009 in London, UK.
- Advisory Board of “Zivile Krisenprävention” <Civil Crisis Prevention> of the Federal Ministry of Foreign Affairs (May 2005-September 2009)
- UN-Political Advisory Board of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs (since 2007)
- Executive Committee of the Development and Peace Foundation (SEF), Bonn (since 2006)
- Selection Committee for Georg-Foster-Scholarship Programme of Alexander-von-Humboldt-Stiftung (October 2007-February 2010)
- Editorial Advisory Board of the Zeitschrift für Außen- und Sicherheitspolitik (ZfAS) <Journal for Foreign and Security Policy> (since 2008)
- Editorial Advisory Board of the Zeitschrift “Die Friedens-Warte” <The Peace Control Room> (2009-2010)
- Speaker's council of the Platform Civilian Conflict Management (April 2010-March 2012)
- Foundation Board of Deutsche Stiftung Friedensforschung <German Foundation for Peace Research> (since October 2009; since March 2011 Acting Chairman of Board of Management)
- Advisory Board of Competence Network Crossroads Asia, sponsored by Federal Ministry of Education and Research (BMBF) (since October 2010)