The Käte Hamburger Kolleg/Centre for Global Cooperation Research (KHK/GCR21) invites applications for Research Fellowships with duration of 12 months starting between February and September 2021. Proposals are especially welcome regarding: (1) critique, justification and legitimacy in global cooperation; and (2) global cooperation and competing conceptions of world order. The fully funded fellowships are available to both senior and postdoctoral researchers across the humanities and social sciences. Deadline for applications (1st June 2020) extended: 1st July 2020.
We are aware that this call comes at a time of high uncertainty around COVID-19. We are monitoring closely the evolving situation and hope that circumstances will allow the advertised fellowships to start as planned from February 2021 onwards. We therefore urge you to apply if you are interested but still uncertain about the practicability of the fellowship!
The Centre for Global Cooperation Research at the University of Duisburg-Essen is one of ten Käte Hamburger Kollegs sponsored by the German Federal Ministry of Education and Research. Established in 2012, the Centre is an interdisciplinary and international learning community that seeks to enhance understanding of the possibilities and limits of global cooperation and to explore new options for global public policy. The working language at the Centre is English.
In its second funding period (2018-2023), the Centre’s research and fellowships are organized around four broad themes: pathways and mechanisms of global cooperation; global cooperation and polycentric governance; critique, justification and legitimacy in global cooperation; and global cooperation and competing conceptions of world order. Empirical research on these themes focuses especially on the governance of climate change, the internet, migration, and peacebuilding. The Centre will issue thematic calls for application on an annual basis.
For next year we invite fellowship applications from across the humanities and social sciences (including also psychology, law and economics) in relation to the second two main themes, as detailed below. We particularly encourage female researchers and scholars from the Global South to apply. Applications from scholars at risk are welcome.
Benefits to Fellows
- An intellectually stimulating and vibrant interdisciplinary learning community
- Excellent infrastructure with fully equipped offices, library facilities, and administrative support (also with finding accommodation)
- Funds to organize workshops (subject to approval, with preference especially to workshops that emerge from an interdisciplinary exchange with other researchers at the Centre)
- Either a monthly stipend commensurate with experience or financing of a teaching replacement at the home institution
Expectations from Fellows
- A completed PhD
- Personal research and publication in the Centre’s thematic areas
- A contribution to the Centre’s own publications
- Regular active participation in seminars and other Centre events
- Collaboration with other fellows in interdisciplinary exchange
- Work in residence at the Centre in Duisburg, Germany
The Centre’s work in the period of 2021-2022 will focus on the themes ‘Critique, Justification and Legitimacy in Global Cooperation’ and ‘Global Cooperation and Competing Conceptions of World Order’. We especially invite fellowship applications that address these themes, as described below. In addition, preference will be given to applications with an empirical focus on the governance of climate change, the internet, migration, and peacebuilding.
You will find further details about themes in the full text (download from right column).
How to Apply
Applications (in English only) should include:
- cover letter
- concise research proposal (3-5 pages)
- list of publications
- text of one relevant publication
Please submit applications using the form below. Deadline for receipt of applications is (1st June 2020) extended: 1st July 2020 . Please indicate in the cover letter your preferred start and end date of the fellowship.
If you have any questions, please contact Matthias Schuler at email@example.com.