Käte Hamburger Kolleg / Centre for Global Cooperation Research
Tel: +49 (0)203 29861-100
Fax: +49 (0)203 29861-199
Professor Christian Tams joined Käte Hamburger Kolleg / Centre for Global Cooperation Research as a Senior Fellow. He conducted his research in Research Unit 3 “Global Governance Revisited” from July 2015 to April 2016.
International Litigation as a Factor Affecting Negotiation Processes in Militarised Conflicts
This research project intends to enhance understanding of the role of international litigation during major inter-state conflicts. More specifically, the focus is on a setting that presents particular challenges for global governance, viz. governance in the field of international security. Moreover, the inquiry analyses a type of non-State actor (international courts or tribunals) that is meant to be impartial, independent and empowered to take binding decisions – but whose relevance, precisely because of their potentially intrusive influence, has traditionally been limited in security-related disputes. The proposed research queries whether the traditional assessment needs to be revisited as courts and tribunals now ostensibly play a more relevant role in global (security) governance.
- International Law
- International Disputes
- International Relations
- International Organisations
- Investment Protection
- United Nations
- League of Nations
- Various research projects on the roles of international courts and tribunals as actors in international governance
- 'The identification of customary law' (book chapter)
- 'The compulsory jurisdiction of international courts' (book chapter)
- 'Succession to investment treaties' (article)
- 'The concept of "international community"' (book chapter)
- 'Investment law and development: friends or foes' (edited book, Edward Elgar)
|Since 12/2008||University of Glasgow, UK
School of Law
Chair of International Law
|04/2005-12/2008||Christian Albrechts University Kiel, Germany
Walther Schuecking Institute
Assistant Professor of Law
|01/2013-06/2013||Sciences Po Paris
Ecole de droit
Vincent Wright Chair
|06/2002-04/2005||Higher Regional Court, Hamburg, Germany
Law Clerk (Referendar)
|09/2000-03/2004||University of Cambridge, UK
Gonville & Caius College
|09/1999-06/2000||University of Cambridge
Graduate Student (LLM)
International Law Commission
Assistant to Commission Member Bruno Simma
|10/1993-12/1998||Christian Albrechts University Kiel
Tams, Christian J., A. Tzanakopoulos and A. Zimmermann (eds.) (2014): Research Handbook on the Law of Treaties, Cheltenham: Edward Elgar Publishing Ltd.
Tams, Christian J., L. Berster and B. Schiffbauer (2014): Convention on the Prevention and Punishment of the Crime of Genocide: A Commentary, München/Oxford: Verlag C.H.Beck/Hart Publishing.
Tams, Christian J., and J. Sloan (eds.) (2013): The Development of International Law by the International Court of Justice, Oxford University Press.
Tams, Christian J. (with R. O'Keefe) (2013): The United Nations Convention on Jurisdictional Immunities of States and Their Property, Oxford University Press.
Tams, Christian J. (with Hofmann and Schill, eds.) (2013): Preferential Trade and Investment Agreements. From Recalibration to Reintegration, Nomos.
Tams, Christian J., and M. Fitzmaurice (eds.) (2013): Legacies of the Permanent Court of International Justice, Brill/Nijhoff.
Tams, Christian J. (with A. Zimmermann, K. Oellers-Frahm, and C. Tomuschat, eds.) (2012): The Statute of the International Court of Justice. A Commentary, (2nd edn), Oxford: OUP.
Tams, Christian J. (2010): Enforcing Obligations Erga Omnes in International Law: Cambridge Studies in International and Comparative Law, Cambridge University Press.
Tams, Christian J. (2009). 'The Use of Force against Terrorists', European Journal of International Law 20 (2): 359–97.
- International Investment Law
- Settlement of International Disputes
- Foundations of International Law
- United Nations Law
- Regularly involved as counsel/adviser in proceedings before international courts and tribunals, notably the International Court of Justice and investment tribunals
- Associate member, Matrix Chambers, London
- Member of the German Court of Arbitration for Sports
- 6th Frankfurt Investment Law Workshop: 'International Investment Law and History', co-organiser, Frankfurt 2015
- 'The International Court of Justice - Current Challenges', co-organiser, Berlin 2014
- 5th Frankfurt Investment Law Workshop: 'Investment Law and the Global Financial Architecture', co-organiser, Frankfurt 2014
- 'Re-Assessing the League of Nations', co-organiser, London 2013
- National Textbook Traditions in International Law, co-organiser, Glasgow 2013
- European Society of Intenational Law
- American Society of International Law
- German Society of International Law
- International Law Association (member of the council of the British branch)
- Scientific advisory board, European Journal of International Law
- Vincent Wright Distinguished Chair, Sciences Po Paris, 2013
- Inaugural Fellow of the Royal Society of Edinburgh Young Academy, 2011
- Yorke Prize, Faculty of Law, University of Cambridge (for Ph.D. Thesis), 2005
- Whewell Scholar in International Law, Cambridge, 2000
- Glanville Williams Prize, Jesus College, 1999–2000
- Clive Parry Prize in International Law, Cambridge, 2000