Käte Hamburger Kolleg / Centre for Global Cooperation Research
Tel: +49 (0)203 29861-100
Fax: +49 (0)203 29861-199
Dr Alessandra Cappelletti joined the Centre as a Postdoc Fellow from October 2016 to March 2017. She will be conducted her research under the joint fellowship programme 'Trans-border Cooperation in East Asia at the Regional/Global Interface' by the Institute of East-Asian Studies (IN-EAST) and the Käte Hamburger Kolleg / Centre for Global Cooperation Research (KHK/GCR21).
Cultural Diplomacy Along the Silk Road: Dynamics and Impact in the Obor Countries
Cultural diplomacy (CD) serves as an important aspect of successful bi-lateral and multi-lateral diplomacy. People-to-people bonds is one of the five goals of the One Belt One Road (OBOR) initiative launched in 2013 by the Chinese President Xi Jinping during an official speech ('Promote People-to-People Friendship and Create a Better Future') at Kazakhstan's Nazarbayev University in the country's capital Astana. The clear emphasis on culture as an increasingly important aspect of international relations, and as a key element in globalization and communication technology, able to reshape power dynamics among social actors, represents a turning point in Chinese foreign policy strategies. My research project is aimed at understanding how CD implemented by Chinese state and non-state actors impacts and influences the knowledge and perception about China among local communities along the New Silk Road Economic Belt, reshaping the balances of power both at the local and regional level. Starting from the assumption that Chinese cultural diplomacy is becoming more and more sophisticated and that the OBOR initiative is potentially at first an intercultural project, and secondly an infrastructural one, the final aim of the research is to get insights on how Chinese CD is reshaping the regional environment in terms of alliances (government to government, non-government to non-government and government to non-government) and to assess the initiative impact in terms of socio-economic development at the local level. As case studies I selected two countries along the New Silk Road Economic Belt: Pakistan and Turkmenistan.
- Development Sociology
- Chinese Foreign Policy
- Minority Studies
- Fieldwork Methodology
- Chinese Culture and Cultural Diplomacy
- China in Central and South Asia
- Cooperation of Minority Elites in the State Apparatus
- 'Agricultural Land Issues and Cooptation Process of Uyghur Minority Élites into the Chinese Party State' (monograph project)
- 'Metropolis in Asia' (inter-university and inter-faculty project developed by the University of Naples L'Orientale)
- Think Tanks on China: Centro Studi sulla Cina Contemporanea (www.cscc.it)
- Online media on China Cinaforum.net
- Study tours and cultural trips to China and to the Chinese Silk Road for university and high school students in collaboration with local universities and media associations
|Since 04/2016||Centro Studi sulla Cina contemporanea Research Centre on Contemporary China Milan, Italy
Board of Directors
|Since 03/2016||LUISS Guido Carli University, Rome, Italy
Working Section International Relations with specialization on China
|Since 11/2016||Cinaforum.net, Rome, Italy
President and Member of the Board of Directors
|Since 02/2014||Cinaforum.net, Rome, Italy
Management and Editorial Board
Co-founder and Contributor
|Since 07/2013||The American University of Rome, Italy
International Relations Program
|09/2014-06/2016||Confucius Institute at the University of Rome 'La Sapienza', Italy
Course of Journalistic Chinese
|11/2013-04/2013||University of Naples 'Federico II', Italy
Degree in Project Management of Touristic Systems
|02/2009-04/2013||Minzu University of China and University of Naples 'L'Orientale', Italy
Phd course in Eastern and Southern Asian Studies, and in Law with Specialization in Ethno-Sociology (dual degree)
|09/2001-07/2002||University of Padua, Italy
Master Student of International Relations
|09/1994-06/2001||University of Venice 'Ca'Foscari', Italy
Bachelor and Master Student of Oriental Studies
Cappelletti, Alessandra (2016): Transformations in Xinjiang Rural Areas: Responses and Reactions by Uyghur Local Communities, in Perspectives Chinoises, special issue 'Entre Adaptation, Contournement et Affrontement: Les Ouïghours Face au Modèle de Modernisation Chinois', Paris: CEFC.
Cappelletti, Alessandra (2016): La Strategicità Della Regione Dello Xinjiang e le Sue Complessità (The Strategic Importance Of Xinjiang Region And Its Complexity), in Matteo Bressan (ed.), Eurasia e Jihadismo, Rome: Carocci.
Cappelletti, Alessandra (2016): Kashgar And Shihezi: Socio-Economic Disparities and Development Gap, in Anna Hayes and Michael Clarke (eds.), Inside Xinjiang: Space, Place and Power in China's Muslim Far Northwest, London: Routledge.
Cappelletti, Alessandra (2015): La Proiezione Cinese in Asia Centrale: Il Caso del Kazakhstan E Dell'affitto dei Terreni Agricoli (Chinese Soft Power in Central Asia: The Case of Kazakhstan and the Agreements on Agricultural Land), in Rivista di politica, Cosenza: Rubbettino.
Cappelletti, Alessandra (2014): Ethnicity Reconsidered. Land Acquisition and Power Dynamics in the Kashgar Prefecture, in Dalny Vychod, IV (1), Olomouc: Olomouc University Press.
Cappelletti, Alessandra (2014): Social Change in Kashgar: From a Cultural and Religious Oasis along the Silk Road to the 'Dubai of Central Asia', in Proceedings of the 'Social Changes in China' Academic Workshop, Rome: Aracne Editrice.
Cappelletti, Alessandra (2014): Land Acquisition Dynamics in the Rural Areas of the Kashgar Prefecture, in Minutes of the XIV Workshop of the Italian Association of Chinese Studies, Naples: Libreria L'Orientale Editrice.
Cappelletti, Alessandra, and Zhang Anfu (2012): Study on the Development of the Tuntian System in Northern Xinjiang during the Qing Dynasty, in Ming Qing STUDIES 2012, Rome: Aracne Editore.
Cappelletti, Alessandra (2012): Note on the Mongolian Landscape Map: Exhibition at Terme di Diocleziano, Rome, in Ming Qing STUDIES 2012, Rome: Aracne Editore.
Cappelletti, Alessandra, and Abduresit Jelil Qarluq (2012): Chapter on Uyghur Peoples in the 60-volumes Encycloped 《中国各民族》 'Peoples of China', joint project of Minzu University of China, Ethnic Minority Study Center of China (EMSCOC) and Shanghai Yilin Press.
Cappelletti, Alessandra (2010): Gli Uiguri del Xinjiang: Processi Politici e Dissenso tra Cina e Asia Centrale (Uyghurs in Xinjiang: Political Processes and Dissent between China and Central Asia), in ISPI Analysis 9, ISPI: Milan.
- International Relations of East Asia, Department of International Relations, American University of Rome, adjunct faculty (from July 2013)
- International Relations with a focus on China, Department of International Relations, University LUISS Guido Carli, Rome, teaching assistant (from March 2016)
- Journalistic Chinese Confucius Institute at the University of Rome 'La Sapienza', adjunct professor (September 2014–June 2016)
- Interfaculty seminar 'Metropolis in Asia', University of Naples L'Orientale, lecturer (May–June 2014)
- Seminar on 'Ethnic Identity and Borders: Socio-economic Changes in Peripherical China', degree in Project Management of Touristic Systems, University of Naples Federico II (November 2013–December 2013)
- Consultant for sociological and legal aspects for the Land Allocation Monitoring Mission – Sino-German Poverty Alleviation Program, Kashgar, Xinjiang Uyghur Autonomous Region, China. Financing Agency of the Project: Kfw Entwicklungsbank, Frankfurt, and the Chinese Ministry of Finance (first mission: 20 August–20 September 2011; second mission: 20 August–7 September 2012)
- Responsible for the Association Cinaforum consultancy project for the Italian Ministry of Economic Development. Tasks: monthly reports on Chinese economy and Europe-China business exchanges (since May 2016)
- Press office and marketing development for the project Interventi Civili di Pace (http://www.interventicivilidipace.org/) aimed at establishing peaceful frameworks of governmental and NGOs cooperation in crises areas (January 2008–September 2009)
- Invited speaker at 'The Socio-Economic Impact of the Shift From Long-term to Short-term Agricultural Land Contracts on the Local Communities in the Kashgar Prefecture', talk at Columbia University, New York, the Inner Asia Curriculum Project and the Modern Tibetan Studies Program at Columbia, SIPA School of International and Public Affairs, United States (13 April 2016)
- Invited speaker at 'China-India. Distant Neighbors', lecture for undergraduate students in the framework of the course 'History and Institutions of Contemporary Asia', Department of Asian and African Studies, University of Venice 'Ca' Foscari', Italy (24 November 2015)
- Selected speaker at 'China's Strategy in Central Asia: The Case of Kazakhstan' at the panel 'Caucasus and the Caspian Regions in the International System', Sgri 2015 (Italian Standing Group on International Relations), Bruno Kessler Foundation, Trento, Italy (25–27 June 2015)
- Panel chair at 'The New Xinjiang: Towards a Reassessment of the Interpretative Binarisms Center-Periphery and Urban-Rural' at the panel 'Metropolis in Asia: Representations and Reconfigurations of Contemporary Urban Spaces', The Asian Studies Conference Japan (ASCJ), Meiji Gakuin University, Shirokane Campus, Tokyo, Japan (20–21 June 2015)
- Invited speaker at 'Plural Identities: The Impact of Socio-Economic Change on Uyghur Population in Contemporary Xinjiang', seminar on research methodology for PhD students, Department of Oriental Studies (ISO), University of Rome 'La Sapienza', Italy (9 June 2015)
- Invited speaker at 'Cinaforum.net: From the Blog to the Online Journal' and 'Sinological Research in Chinese Border Areas', lectures at the Master in Global Management China, Ca' Foscari Challenge School, Università 'Ca' Foscari' di Venezia, Venice, Italy (10 December 2014)
- Selected speaker at 'Understanding 'Rule of Law' in Contemporary Xinjiang. Land Acquisition Dynamics and Legality in Han and Uyghurs' Contexts', New European Research on Contemporary China Conference, French Centre for Research on Contemporary China (CEFC) and Sino-French Academic Centre (CFC, Tsinghua University), Beijing, China (2–4 July 2014)
- Invited speaker at 'Dal Piccolo Appezzamento All'impresa Agricola Nella Regione Del Xinjiang' (From Plots to Large-Scale Intensive Agriculture In The Xinjiang Region), SIII 2014–VII edition, interdisciplinary, inter-university and inter-faculty workshop, University of Milan, Faculty of Political, Economic and Social Sciences, Milan, Italy (19–20 May 2014)
- Selected speaker at 'From "Land as a Common" to "Commodity Land" in Xinjiang Uyghur Autonomous Region' at the international workshop on 'Disorder, Action and the "Public Good" in China', University of Lausanne, Switzerland (6–7 December 2013)
- Selected speaker at 'Elite Co-optation Dynamics in Xinjiang Uyghur Autonomous Region: Uyghur Muslim Officials in Rural Xinjiang', SEG Jahrestagung, panel 'Current Contributions to Chinese Anthropology', Sierre, Switzerland (7–9 November 2013)
- Selected speaker at 'Ethnicity Reconsidered: The Uyghurs and the Power in China's Muslim Region of Xinjiang', 7th Annual Conference on Cultural and Social Anthropology of East Asia, Art Centre, Palacky University, Olomouc, Czech Republic (31 October –2 November 2013)
- Selected speaker at 'Land Acquisition Dynamics in Xinjiang Uyghur Autonomous Region: The Impact on Land Patterns and Floating Population', the 11th Biennial Conference of the Nordic Association for China Studies (NACS) 'Responsible China', University of Turku, Finland (11–14 June 2013)
- Panel coordinator for 'Land Acquisition and Land Grabbing in Xinjiang Uyghur Autonomous Region—Towards a Sociological Understanding of a Complex Phenomenon' at the National Biennial Conference of the Italian Association for Chinese Studies (AISC), panel title 'The Contribution of The Socio-Anthropological Approaches to the Chinese Studies: Theoretical Perspectives and Outcomes', Università degli Studi di Napoli 'L'Orientale', Procida School of Advanced Studies, Naples, Italy (9–21 September 2013)
- Italian Association of Chinese Studies (AISC)
- Italian Association for the Study of Central Asia and Caucasus (ASIAC)
- Research Center on Contemporary China (CSCC, co-founder and member of the BoD)
- Cultural Association CINAFORUM (president and founder)
- Chinese Economic Association (CEA)