Käte Hamburger Kolleg / Centre for Global Cooperation Research
Tel: +49 (0)203 29861-139
Fax: +49 (0)203 29861-199
Dr. Balraj K. Sidhu joined Käte Hamburger Kolleg / Centre for Global Cooperation Research as a Postdoc Fellow. She conducted her research in Research Unit 3 'Global Governance Revisited' from March to August 2016.
International Environment Court: A Legal Study of an Ideal
The multidimensional threats to the human environment have necessitated responses in kind, both in terms of legal instruments as well as effective forums for international settlement of environmental disputes. The evolution of international environmental law as well as its changing character over the past several decades underscores tools and techniques that have been developed to address changing needs of the human society. In the context of this larger challenge as well as structure and the process put into place for the purpose, an effort would be made in this work to examine various international forums that are entrusted with responsibility for resolution of inter-state disputes in general and transnational environmental disputes in particular. The proposed study seeks to contextuate the current practice and state of art in the settlement of international environmental disputes by taking stock of the role and ability of existing dispute settlement forums to grapple with growing number of environment related conflicts as well as make an in depth legal inquiry as regards an alternative scenario to help remedy the challenge including the proposal for a specialized international environment court (IEC).
- International Environmental Law
- Settlement of International Disputes
- International Criminal Law
- Transitional Justice Legal & Institutional Mechanisms
- Sexual and Gender based Violence in Conflicts
- Role of Courts & Tribunals in the Changing Global Order
- Sharing of Transboundary Water Resources
- Hybrid Courts and Tribunals as Post Conflict International Criminal Justice Mechanism: A Hegemonic Process?
- Women’s Quest for Transitional Justice in Post-Conflict Societies: A Legal Study
|Since 09/2012||Centre for Advanced Study on Courts and Tribunals, India
Administrative and Academic
|Since 08/2012||Jawaharlal Nehru Chair in International Environmental Law, India
Teaching, Research and Capacity-Building
Senior Research Fellow
|10/2014-03/2015||University of Liverpool, UK
School of Law and Social Justice
Senior Research Fellow
|06/2014-08/2014||Max Planck Institute for Foreign and International Criminal Law, Freiburg, Germany
DAAD Visiting Scholar
|08/2012||University of Copenhagen
iCourts, Faculty of Law
|01/2011-07/2011||Max Planck Institute for Comparative Public Law and International Law, Heidelberg, Germany
Visiting (Doctoral) Researcher
Desai, B. H., and Sidhu, Balraj K. (forthcoming 2017): International Environment Court: A Legal Study of an Ideal, Boston, USA: Brill/ Nijhoff.
Desai, B.H., and Sidhu, B. K. (2015): “Quest for International Environment Institutions: Transition from CSD to HLPF”, in: Shawkat Alam, Sumudu Atapattu, Carmen G. Gonzalez, and Jona Razzaque (ed.), International Environmental Law and the Global South: Comparative Perspectives, Cambridge: CUP, UK.
Desai, B.H., and Sidhu, B. K. (2014): “Bay of Bengal Arbitration Award”, in: Environmental Policy & Law 44 (6): 536–9.
Sidhu, B.K. (2013): “The Kishenganga Arbitration: Transboundary Water Resources Governance”, in: Environmental Policy & Law 43 (3): 147–61.
Sidhu, B.K. (2013): “The Role of Courts & Tribunals in the Changing Global Order”, in: Environmental Policy & Law 43 (3): 143–4.
Desai, B. H., and Sidhu, B. K. (2012): “International Environmental Dispute Settlement: Rio+20 and Beyond”, in: Environmental Policy & Law 42 (2): 102–16.
Desai, B. H., and Sidhu, B.K. (2010): “On the Quest for Green Courts in India”, in: Journal of Court Innovation 3 (1): 79–111.
- Since 2012: Teaching Assistance in Post-graduate Courses to Jawaharlal Nehru Chair in International Environmental Law, SIS, Jawaharlal Nehru University, New Delhi
- 2015: Faculty of Law, University of Kashmir, Srinagar (Visiting Faculty)
- Associate Editor, Yearbook of International Environmental Law, Oxford University Press, UK (since 2015)
- Journal Referee for Asia-Pacific Journal of Environmental Law
- New Delhi Dialogue on 'Role of Courts & Tribunals in the Changing Global Order', JNU Campus, 15 March 2013 [in collaboration with Jawaharlal Nehru Chair (JNU, New Delhi) and Centre for Advanced Study on Courts & Tribunals (Amritsar)]
- Amritsar Dialogue on 'Role of Green Courts & Tribunals: Opportunities and Challenges', GNDU Amritsar Campus, 23–24 November 2013 [in collaboration with Jawaharlal Nehru Chair (JNU, New Delhi), Centre for Advanced Study on Courts & Tribunals (Amritsar) and Asian Development Bank (Manila)]
- World Commission on Environmental Law, IUCN, Gland, Switzerland
- IUCN Academy of Environmental Law, Ottawa, Canada