German Institute of Development and Sustainability (IDOS), Researcher, website
University of Duisburg-Essen, Political Science, Privatdozent
Research Project at the Centre
Strategic Facilitation of Decisions – Scenarios of Sustainable Low Carbon Energy Systems
The interdependence of the three policy priorities: sustainable development, energy security and climate protection requires complex and strategic decision-making in order to minimize costs of transformation of the energy system. With the increasing convergence of national energy systems, further opportunities and barriers require further facilitation as these three priorities are usually addressed through different policy frameworks. The strategic facilitation of various decision-making processes in the three policy priorities requires the clear and integrative identification of 'possible outcomes'. The 'tolerable window approach' (Bruckner et al. 1999) sets the political limitations of possible sets of decisions in the future. This approach allows actors to cope with uncertainty and complexity that often inhibit adequate decisions for example in climate protection. The 'tolerable window approach' implies that possible 'contexts' are identified and if needed negotiated: which principles need to be included, why should other principles be excluded? Scenarios are therefore needed to provide decision-makers insights how the future could unfold. With such insights, decision-makers are given possible justification for their decisions. Scenario analysis as a methodology for scientific research is a common way of identifying future developments. It does not intend to provide predictions of the future, but rather create a 'funnel-shaped head lighting'.
- "Technical Cooperation – Curriculum Development for a Multidisciplinary Master's Degree in Sustainable Energy and Climate Change at the University of Technology (UTech) in Kingston, Jamaica" (GIZ, Deutsche Gesellschaft für internationale Zusammenarbeit)
- Red SUMAS, Sustentabilidad Energética, Medioambiente y Sociedad , Proyecto CONACYT, Mexico: 271624
Expertise and Consulting Work
- Consultant, Jamaica ARGE and Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ), Masters of Sustainable Energy and Climate Change, University of Kingston, Jamaica, 2016
- Consultant, Philippine Supreme Court / Philippine Judicial Academy, January 2011
- Trainer, Training of 90 community leaders of the Municipality of Bato and Nabua, Philippines, January 11, 2011 and training of 30 judges, lawyers and mediators, Iriga City, Philippines, January 2011
- Consultant, Evaluator International Humanitarian Dialogue, Geneva, Switzerland
- Consultant, Scientific coordination of the European Autumn Academy: Progressive Outlook of the Energy Sector through Youth Empowerment of the Friedrich Ebert Foundation and the NGO Demokratie und Dialog, e.V., June to October 2015
Seminars and Conferences
- Politicas energéticas y medioambientales en países de economías emergentes, Primer Encuentro de la Red SUMAS Sustentabilidad Energética, Medioambiente y Sociedad, Centro de Investigación de Ingeniería y Ciencias Aplicadas, Universidad Autónoma del Estado de Morelos, 29 August–2 September 2016, Cuernavaca, Mexico
- The Integrated Stream Model of Transformation—Facilitating the Process Towards Sustainable Low Carbon Energy Economy, The Asian Conference on Sustainability, Energy and the Environment 2016, The Art Center Kobe, 9–12 June 2016, Kobe, Japan
- European Autumn Academy: Progressive Outlook of the Energy Sector through Youth Empowerment of the Friedrich Ebert Foundation and the NGO Demokratie und Dialog, e.V., June–October 2015
- Understanding the Meaning of Path Dependency for Negotiations—The Climate Change Talks as an Example of Contextualization, 5th International Biennial on Negotiation, Novancia Business School, 25 March 2014, Paris, France
- Rethinking Paradigms in Global Climate Talks—Conceptualizing Equitable Access to Sustainable Development, 10 October 2013, 6th International Scientific Conference on Energy and Climate Change, National and Kapodistrian University of Athens, Greece
- Third-Party Intervention and Facilitation: The Role of Threshold States, Annual Meeting of the BISA-ISA Joint International Conference, 20 June 2012, Edinburgh Scotland
- Dealing with Biased Meditation: Lessons from the Malaysian and Libyan Mediation in the Philippines, ISA Annual Convention: Power, Principles and Participation in the Global Information Age, 3 April 2012, San Diego, USA
- Facilitating Political Transformation of Armed Rebel Groups: Bridging Gaps Between Democratization and Peace Processes, ISA Annual Convention: Power, Principles and Participation in the Global Information Age, 1 April 2012, San Diego, USA
- Demographic Indicators of Ethno-religious Minority Recognition, Annual meeting of the International Studies Association, 16 March 2011, Montreal, Canada
- The Nation and the Legitimacy of Violence—The Bangsamoro Question in the Philippines, Annual meeting of the International Studies Association, 16 March 2011, Montreal, Canada
- Nation-Building and Violence, 24th Annual Conference of the Peace Psychology Association, University of Marburg, 17 June 2011, Marburg, Germany
- Understanding the Entanglement of the Climate Change Negotiations in North-South Relations—An Experiment with Systems Analysis and Critical Theory, Critical Theory and Social Justice, John Felice Rome Center of Loyola University Chicago, 9 May 2011, Rome, Italy
University of Duisburg-Essen, Germany
"Facilitating Global Transformation Processes —Convergent Pathways for Sustainable Low Carbon Economy"
Fraunhofer Center for International Management and Knowledge Economy, Leipzig, Germany
Sustainability Management and Infrastructure Economics Division
Unit Stakeholder Dialogue and Social Acceptance
University of Cologne, Germany
Doctoral Degree (Dr. rer. pol) in Economics and Social Science
University of Leipzig, Germany
Institute for Infrastructure and Resources Management
Research Fellow / Senior Lecturer
University of Vienna, Austria
Doctoral Degree (Dr. phil.) in Philosophy
European University Viadrina, Frankfurt/Oder and Humboldt-University, Berlin, Germany
Master's Degree (M.A.) in Mediation
International Institute for Applied Systems Analysis, Laxenburg, Austria
Processes of International Negotiation
Ludwig-Maximilian-University Munich, Germany
Magister Artium (M.A.) in Political Science, Sociology and Pedagogy
- Young Researcher Prize, Runner-Up, 5th International Biennial on Negotiation, Novancia Business School, 24–25 March 2014, Paris, France
- Scholar Award, International Association of Conflict Management (IACM)—The Dispute Resolution Research Center (DRRC), IACM 24th Annual Conference, 3–6 July 2011, Istanbul, Turkey
- Lecturer, Energy Politics, Masters level, Faculty of Economics and Management Science, University of Leipzig, Germany, April 2016 to July 2016
- Lecturer, Negotiation and Decision-Making, Masters level, Faculty of Economics and Management Science, University of Leipzig, Germany, October 2015 to February 2016
- Lecturer, Climate Change and Sustainable Development, Masters level, Ateneo School of Government, Ateneo de Manila University, Philippines, Oct. 25 to Dec. 20, 2014
- Lecturer, Negociaciones internacionales y cooperación en el campo del cambio climático: instituciones, políticas, acuerdos e instrumentos Universidad Nacional Autónoma de México (UNAM), Postgrado de Economía, (Programa de Maestría), División de Estudios de Postgrado de la Facultad de Economía, August to November 2014
- Lecturer, Negotiations and Decision-Making, Entrepreneurship and Technology Management, Masters level, University of Tartu, 15 to 19 May 2014
- Lecturer, Negotiations and Decision-Making, Faculty of Economics and Management Science, Masters level, University of Leipzig, Germany, October 2013 to March 2014
- Lecturer, Field Research Seminar, Sustainability Assessment of the German Energiewende, Masters level, Faculty of Economics and Management Science, University of Leipzig, Germany, October 2013 to March 2014
- Lecturer, Global Environmental and Sustainability Politics, Masters level, Faculty of Economics and Management Science, University of Leipzig, Germany, October 2012 to March 2013
- Guest Lecturer, International Negotiations, Bachelor's level, Faculty of Economics, University of Alcala de Henares, Spain, LLP/Erasmus-Program 2012/2013
- Guest Lecturer, International Negotiations, Bachelor's level, Faculty of Liberal Arts, International Studies, De la Salle University, Manila, Philippines, December 2012
- Lecturer, International Negotiations and Conflict Management, Masters level, Faculty of Economics and Management Science, University of Leipzig, Germany, Summer Term 2012, April 2012 to August 2012
- Lecturer, International Negotiations, Masters level, Department of Political Science, Goethe-University Frankfurt am Main, Germany, Winter Term 2011/2012
- Lecturer, International Negotiations, Masters level, Faculty of Economics and Social Sciences, University of Cologne, Winter Term 2011/2012
Hernández, Ariel (2014): Strategic Facilitation of Complex Decision-Making – How Process and Context Matter in Global Climate Change Negotiations, Heidelberg: Springer.
Hernández, Ariel (2014): Nation-building and Identity Conflicts, Wiesbaden: Springer VS.
Hernández, Ariel, Sjödtedt, G. und Penetrante, A.M. (Hrsg.) (2013): Climate Change Negotiations – A Guide to Resolving Disputes and Facilitating Multilateral Cooperation, Routledge: London.
Hernández, Ariel (2015): Chapter Scientists in the IPCC AR5 – Experience and Lessons, in: Schulte-Uebbing, L., Hansen, G., Hernandez, A.M. und Winter, M. (Hrsg.): Current Opinion in Environmental Sustainability, Elsevier.
Hernández, Ariel (2014): Chapter 7: Energy Systems, in: Bashmakov, I., Bruckner, T. und Mulugetta, Y. (Hrsg.): IPCC Assessment Report WG III: Mitigation of Climate Change, Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.
Hernández, Ariel (2014): A Principle of Equitable Access to Sustainable Development – Internalizing Externalities in the Global Climate Talks, in: Review of Business and Economics Studies 2 (1): 74–87.
Hernández, Ariel (2014): The Case of Arcania: Structure and Actors in Point of Entry (POE) Negotiations, in: Zartman, I.W. und Melamud, M. (Hrsg.): Banning the Bang or the Bomb?, Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 501–37.
Penetrante, Ariel (2013): Common But Differentiated Responsibilities – The North- South Divide in Climate Change Negotiations, in: Sjöstedt und Penetrante (Hrsg.): Climate Change Negotiations – A Guide to Resolving Disputes and Facilitating Multilateral Cooperation, London: Routledge, 249–76.
Penetrante, A.M. (2012): Simulating Climate Change Negotiations: Lessons from Modeled Experience, in: Negotiation Journal, 27 (3): 279–314.
Penetrante, A.M. (2011): The Entanglement of Climate Change in North–South Relations: Stumbling Blocks and Opportunities for Negotiation, in: Richardson, K., Steffen, W. und Liverman, D. (Hrsg.): Climate Change: Global Risks, Challenges and Decisions, Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 356–59.
Penetrante, A.M. (2011): Mass-Violence and Struggle for Recognition in Identity Conflicts – Negotiating Memories and Justice in the Philippines, in: Anstey, M., und Zartman I.W. (Hrsg.): To Block the Slippery Slope: Reducing Identity Conflicts and Preventing Genocide, New York: Oxford University Press, 85–109.
Greene, O. und Penetrante, A.M. (2011): Arms, Private Militias and Fragile State Dynamics, in: Greene, O. und Marsh, N. (Hrsg.): Small Arms, Crime and Conflict. Global Governance and the Threat of Armed Violence, Berlin: Routledge.