Käte Hamburger Kolleg / Centre for Global Cooperation Research
Tel: +49 (0)203 29861-131
Fax: +49 (0)203 379-5276
Professor Stephen Brown joined Käte Hamburger Kolleg / Centre for Global Cooperation Research as a Senior Fellow from January to June 2013. He continued his research for another period in Research Unit 3 “Global Governance Revisited” from January to June 2015.
The research project is entitled: "Global Cooperation and Development Policy Coherence".
Professor Brown's research will focus on cooperation among donor countries in development policy, part of a five-year project funded by the Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council of Canada. The project’s goal is to explain policy coherence and incoherence, as well understand how donor policies and practices on coherence (including the Paris Principles of ownership, alignment and harmonization) play out in developing countries, including how they affect power hierarchies among the various actors.
In addition to desk-based research on foreign aid and international cooperation for development, Professor Brown will do some fieldwork in Mali and take advantage of his presence in Europe to conduct interviews with key actors and analysts of international cooperation for development. He will also undertake a few other research activities, such as completing an edited volume on the securitization of foreign aid, jointly with Jörn Grävingholt (German Development Institute).
- Foreign aid
- African politics
- Political violence
- Peacebuilding and transitional justice
- Global cooperation and development policy coherence
- The securitization of foreign aid
|Since 05/2013||University of Ottawa, Canada
School of Political Studies
|2006-2013||University of Ottawa, Canada
School of Political Studies
|2002-2006||University of Ottawa, Canada
School of Political Studies
|2000-2002||University of Toronto, Canada
Department of Political Science
|1994-2000||New York University
Department of Politics
|1990-1994||United Nations Development Programme
Offices in Muscat, Tegucigalpa and New York
|1989-1990||London School of Economics, UK
Department of Government
Swiss, Liam and Stephen Brown (2015). 'The Aid Orphan Myth', Third World Quarterly, vol. 36, no. 2 (forthcoming).
Brown, Stephen (2015). 'Foreign Aid and Policy Coherence for Development', in Mak Arvin (ed.), Handbook of Foreign Aid, Cheltenham, UK: Edward Elgar (forthcoming).
Brown, Stephen, Molly den Heyer and David R. Black (eds.) (2014). Rethinking Canadian Aid. Ottawa: University of Ottawa Press. (download the PDF of the entire book here, 4MB). Includes the following chapters:
- Brown, Stephen, Molly den Heyer and David R. Black, Why Rethink Canadian Aid?, pp. 1-13
- Brown, Stephen, Undermining Foreign Aid: The Extractive Sector and the Recommercialization of Canadian Development Assistance, pp. 277-95
- Black, David R., Stephen Brown and Molly den Heyer, Rethinking Canadian Development Cooperation: Towards Renewed Partnerships, pp. 297-311
Brown, Stephen and Rosalind Raddatz (2014). 'Dire Consequences or Empty Threats? Western Pressure for Peace, Justice and Democracy in Kenya', Journal of Eastern African Studies, vol. 8, no. 1 (February), pp. 43-62.
Brown, Stephen (2014). Foreign Aid in a Changing World, in Vandana Desai and Robert B. Potter (eds.), The Companion to Development Studies, Third Edition, London: Routledge, pp. 539-42.
Brown, Stephen and Liam Swiss (2013). 'The Hollow Ring of Donor Commitment: Country Concentration and the Decoupling of Aid Effectiveness Norms from Donor Practice', Development Policy Review, vol. 31, no. 6 (November), pp 737-55.
Brown, Stephen (2013). Canadian Aid to Africa, in Rohinton Medhora and Yiagadeesen Samy (eds.), Canada Among Nations 2013. Canada-African Relations: Looking Back, Looking Ahead, Waterloo, ON: Centre for International Governance Innovation, pp. 181-94.
Brown, Stephen (2013). The National Accord, Impunity, and the Fragile Peace in Kenya, in: Chandra Lekha Sriram et al. (eds.), Transitional Justice and Peacebuilding on the Ground: Victims and Ex-Combatants, London: Routledge, pp. 238-54.
Brown, Stephen and Michael Olender (2013). Canada’s Fraying Commitment to Multilateral Development Cooperation, in Hany Besada and Shannon Kindornay (eds.), Multilateral Development Cooperation in a Changing Global Order, New York: Palgrave Macmillan, pp. 158-88.
Brown, Stephen (2013). Democracy Promotion in Africa, in Nic Cheeseman and David M. Anderson (eds.), Routledge Handbook of African Politics, London: Routledge, pp. 401-13.
Brown, Stephen (ed.) (2012). Struggling for Effectiveness: CIDA and Canadian Foreign Aid, Montreal and Kingston: McGill-Queen’s University Press, including the following chapters:
- Brown, Stephen: Canadian Aid Enters the Twenty-First Century, pp. 3-23
- Brown, Stephen: CIDA’s New Partnership with Canadian NGOs: Modernizing for Greater Effectiveness?, pp. 287-304
- Brown, Stephen / Rosalind Raddatz: Taking Stock, Looking Ahead, pp. 327-43
Brown, Stephen and Chandra Lekha Sriram (2012). 'The Big Fish Won’t Fry Themselves: Criminal Accountability for Post-Election Violence in Kenya', African Affairs, vol. 111, no. 443 (April), pp. 244-60.
Brown, Stephen (2012). Lessons Learned and Forgotten: The International Community and Electoral Conflict Management in Kenya, in David Gillies (ed.), Elections in Dangerous Places: Democracy and the Paradoxes of Peacebuilding, Montreal and Kingston: McGill-Queen’s University Press, pp. 127-43.
Brown, Stephen (2011). ‘Well, what can you expect?’: Donor officials’ apologetics for hybrid regimes in Africa, Democratization, vol. 18, no. 2 (April), pp. 512-3.
Brown, Stephen (2011). 'Justice pénale internationale et violences électorales : les enjeux de la CPI au Kenya', Revue Tiers Monde, nº 205 (March), pp. 85-100.
Brown, Stephen (2011). Aid Effectiveness and the Framing of New Canadian Aid Initiatives, in Duane Bratt and Christopher J. Kukucha (eds.), Readings in Canadian Foreign Policy: Classic Debates and New Ideas, Second Edition. Don Mills, ON: Oxford University Press, pp. 469-8.
- Foreign Aid – Actors, Policies and Practices, graduate seminar, University of Ottawa
- Construction et transformations des États et des régimes politiques, graduate seminar, University of Ottawa
- Core Seminar in Comparative Politics, graduate seminar, University of Ottawa
- Special Topics in Comparative Politics: Sub-Saharan Africa, graduate seminar, University of Ottawa
- Honours Seminar in Comparative Politics, fourth-year undergraduate course, University of Ottawa
- Économie politique du développement, fourth-year undergraduate course, University of Ottawa
- Politics of Foreign Aid, fourth-year undergraduate course, University of Ottawa
- Introduction to Comparative Politics, second-year undergraduate course, University of Ottawa
- Department of Foreign Affairs, Trade and Development (Canada)
- Development Assistance Committee of the Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD)
- United Nations Development Programme (UNDP)
- International Development Research Centre
- Pearson Peacekeeping Centre
- “Aid Effectiveness and Policy Coherence for Development”, Australasian Aid Conference, Australian National University, Canberra, Australia, February 12-13, 2015
- « Repenser l’aide canadienne : 15 propositions », Événement Où va la coopération internationale au Québec et au Canada? Journées québécoises de la solidarité internationale, Université du Québec à Montréal, Montreal, QC, November 7, 2014
- “Canadian Aid to Africa”, Africa-Canada Forum Colloquium, Ottawa, ON, October 14-15, 2014
- “Foreign Aid and Self-Interest under the Harper Government”, Symposium on Uncaring Canada: Business, Politics, and Culture in Canada’s New Engagement in the Americas. University of Toronto, Toronto, ON, September 26, 2014
- « L’aide canadienne et les intérêts commerciaux sous le gouvernement Harper », Université Laval, Quebec City, QC, September 18, 2014
- “Undermining Foreign Aid: The Extractive Sector and the Recommercialization of Canadian Development Assistance”, International Political Science Association World Congress, Montreal, QC, July 19-24, 2014.
- “From Ottawa to Kandahar and Back: The Securitization of Canadian Foreign Aid”, European Association of Development Research and Training Institutes General Conference, Bonn, Germany, June 23-26, 2014
- “Dire Consequences or Empty Threats? Western Pressure for Peace, Justice and Democracy in Kenya”, Kenya at Fifty Conference, Johns Hopkins University, Washington, DC, September 26-27, 2013
- "Aid Effectiveness, Innovation and Canadian Development Assistance", International Development Institute, Humber College, Toronto, ON, 20 November 2012
- "Évaluer le Plan d’action de l’ACDI pour accroître l’efficacité de l’aide", Table ronde sur le virage de l'aide publique canadienne au développement, Chaire en développement international, Université Laval, Quebec City, QC, 15 November 2012
- "Assessing CIDA’s Aid Effectiveness Agenda", CIDA Knowledge Day, Canadian International Development Agency, Gatineau, QC, 18 October 2012
- Visiting Professor, Centre de recherche et d'étude sur les pays d'Afrique orientale, Université de Pau et des Pays de l’Adour, Pau, France, 2010
- Visiting Researcher, German Development Institute, Bonn, Germany, 2009