Käte Hamburger Kolleg / Centre for Global Cooperation Research
Tel: +49 (0)203 379-5230
Fax: +49 (0)203 379-5276
Dr Zeynep Sahin Mencutek joins Käte Hamburger Kolleg / Centre for Global Cooperation Research as an Associate Fellow. She will be conducting her research in Research Unit 2 'Global Cultural Conflicts and Transcultural Cooperation'.
Refugee Governance, State and Politics in the Middle East
The research project questions ways in which the responses to mass migration in the Middle East are linked to domestic and foreign politics, capabilities and history of each country as well as to negotiations among local, regional and non-regional actors. Focusing on the cases of Lebanon, Jordan, and Turkey in a comparative perspective, it aims to explore the position of various stakeholders who drive refugee response policies and initiatives of these countries, and the sets of factors influencing refugee governance in relation with the impact of the refugee crisis on respective countries’ domestic and regional politics.
- International Relations
- Middle East Politics
- Comparative Migration and Refugee Policies
- Gender & Politics
- Refugee Governance in the Middle East
- Shifts in Lebanon’s and Turkey's Policies towards Syrian Refugees
- State-Diaspora Relations
- International Relations, Security and Migration
|08/2011-07/2016||Gediz University, Izmir, Turkey
Department of International Relations
Assistant Professor of International Relations
|2015-2016||Migration Research Center, Izmir, Turkey
|08/2005-12/2011||University of Southern California, Los Angeles, USA
Mencutek, Zeynep Sahin, and Baser, Bahar (2017): State Diaspora Policy as a Supplement of Foreign Policy: Insights from Turkey (with Dr. Bahar Başer, Coventry University), Balkan and Near Eastern Studies, forthcoming.
Mencutek, Zeynep Sahin (2017): Refugee Politics of Organization of Islamic Conference, in: T. Kayaoglu and M. J. Petersen (eds.), Organization of Islamic Conference, forthcoming.
Mencutek, Zeynep Sahin, and Erdogan, Murat (2016): Implementation of Voting from Abroad: Evidences from the 2014 Turkish Presidential Election, Journal of International Migration 54 (3): 173–86.
Mencutek, Zeynep Sahin, and Aras, Ela Gökalp (2016): From Assertive to Opportunist Usage of Mass Migration for Foreign and Asylum Policy: Turkey’s Respond for The Refugees from Syria, in: I. Sirkeci and B. Push (eds.), Turkish Migration Policy, Transnational Press London.
Mencutek, Zeynep Sahin, and Aras, Ela Gökalp (2016): Externalization of the EU’s Policy on Irregular Migration: the Case of Turkey, in: A. Freyberg-Inan et al. (eds.), Growing Together, Growing Apart: Turkey and the European Union Today, Nomos, 115–43.
Mencutek, Zeynep Sahin (2016): Governance of Refugee Protection in the Middle East and North Africa by Arab League, in: A. Tutumlu and G. Güngör (eds.), Multilateralism and Political Economy, Peter Lang Publication, 169–95.
Mencutek, Zeynep Sahin (2016): Strong in the Movement, Strong in the Party: Kurdish Women’s Representation in Political Parties of Turkey, Political Studies 64 (2): 470–87.
Mencutek, Zeynep Sahin, and Aras, Ela Gökalp (2015): International Migration and Foreign Policy Nexus: the Case of Syrian Refugees in Turkey, Migration Letters 12 (3): 193–208.
Mencutek, Zeynep Sahin (2015): External Voting: Mapping Motivations of Emigrants and Concerns of Host Countries, Insight Turkey 17 (4): 145–71.
Mencutek, Zeynep Sahin, and Tatari, Eren (2015): Strategic Intersectionality and Political Representation: Female Muslim Councilors in London, Journal of Women, Politics & Polic 36 (4), 415–39.
Mencutek, Zeynep Sahin (2015): Impact of Syrian Crisis on Jordanian Foreign Policy: Syrian Refugees and Participation into the Anti-ISIS Coalition, Middle Eastern Studies 7 (1): 82–109 [in Turkish].
Mencutek, Zeynep Sahin, Durmuş, Ayşegül, and Polat, Ferihan (2015): Understanding of 'Arab Spring' from the Perspective of Immanuel Wallerstein as a Revolutionary Situation, Pamukkale Sosyal Bilimler Enstitüsü Dergisi, Fall 2015 [in Turkish].
Mencutek, Zeynep Sahin (2015): The Impact of Syrian Refugee Crisis in Lebanon, Project on Middle East and Arap Spring, The Project on the Middle East and Arab Spring-POMEAS BRIEF, No.10, June 2015 (Policy Brief).
Mencutek, Zeynep Sahin (2015): The Gender Politics of Conservative Justice and Development Party of Turkey, in: S. Childs and K. Celis (eds.) Gender, Conservatism and Political Representation, ECPR Press, 83–103.
Mencutek, Zeynep Sahin (2014): The 'Rebirth' of a Dead Organization?: Questioning the role of the Arab League in the 'Arab Uprisings' Process, Perceptions: Journal of International Relations XIX (2): 83–113.
Mencutek, Zeynep Sahin ( 2012): Immigration Control in the Transit States: The Case of Turkey, European Journal of Economic and Political Studies 5 (1): 137–63.
Mencutek, Zeynep Sahin (2010): Migration, Nationalism and Ethnicity in the Middle East, in: R. A. Denemark (ed.), The International Studies Encyclopedia, Vol. III, Wiley-Blackwell (Review Article).
- Courses taught at the graduate level: Politics, Society and Economy of Middle East, Master Theses
- Courses taught at the undergraduate level: International Politics, Introduction to International Relations, Middle East in World Politics, Migration, Society and Politics, Gender and Politics, International Politics and Movies, Turkish Foreign Policy
- Zeynep Sahin Mencutek, Peace Workshop, Conventry University and Mugla Sıtkı Kocman University, Convenor and Lecturer of Migration and Peace Building Module, Mugla, Turkey, 18–21 July 2016.
- Zeynep Sahin Mencutek, Bezen Balamir Çoşkun, and Ela Gökalp Aras, 'Understanding Migration Policy from a Neoclassical Realism Perspective', Turkish Migration Conference, Vienna, Austria, July 2016.
- Zeynep Sahin Mencutek, and Sinem Uygun, 'From Tolerated Denial to Half-Hearted Acceptance: Lebanon’s Policies towards Syrian Refugees', International Conference on Gender and Migration, İzmir, Turkey, May 2016.
- Zeynep Sahin Mencutek, 'Methodological Challenges in Studying Inter-governmental Organizations Role in Migration-Refugee Governance', International Relations Conference (UIK), Çeşme, İzmir, Turkey, April 2016.
- Zeynep Sahin Mencutek, 'Regional Governance of Refugees Issues in the Middle East', 4th International Political Economy Workshop, Gediz University, İzmir, Turkey, May 2015.
- Zeynep Sahin Mencutek, 'A Comparative Study of State Responses to the Syrian Refugee "Problem" in Jordan, Lebanon and Iraq', Uludağ Conference on International Relations, 'Return of Geopolitics? Time for Active Diplomacy in the Greater Regions', November 2015.
- Zeynep Sahin Mencutek, and Emanuele Massetti, 'Kurdish Nationalism in Turkey’s Changing Political Regime: The Political Strategy and Ideological Profile of the HDP', IPSA Conference 'Rethinking Territoriality: Between Independence and Interdependence', University of Edinburgh, UK, September 2015.
- Zeynep Sahin Mencutek, and Ela Gökalp Aras, 'Coping with Mass Influxes: Turkey's Management of 1991 Iraqi and On Going Syrian Refugee Crises', Turkish Migration Conference, Prague, Czech Republic, 2015.
- Zeynep Sahin Mencutek, 'State-Emigrant Relations: the Case of Turkey', First European Workshops in International Studies, İzmir Turkey, May 2014.
- Zeynep Sahin Mencutek, and Muhsin Altıntop, 'Migration in International Relations', First European Workshops in International Studies, İzmir, Turkey, 21–24 May 2014.
- Zeynep Sahin Mencutek, 'Gender Quota and Political Parties in Turkey', 3rd European Conference on Politics and Gender, Universitat Pompeu Fabra, Barcelona, Spain, March 2013.
- Zeynep Sahin Mencutek, 'Regional Organizations in Coping with Political Crisis: The Examples of Arab League and Gulf Cooperation Council', METU, International Relations Conference, Ankara, Turkey, June 2012.
- Zeynep Sahin Mencutek, 'Women’s Political Integration in Pro-Islamic and Religious Conservative Parties in Turkey', Annual Convention of International Studies Association (ISA), Montreal, Canada, March 2011.
- Zeynep Sahin Mencutek, 'Political Activism of Kurdish Women in Turkey and Intersectionality', Annual Convention of International Studies Association (ISA), New Orleans, USA, 2010.
- International Studies Association
- International Political Science Association
- European International Studies Assocation
- Middle East Studies Assocation
- Prize for Best Performance Faculty Member Award, Gediz University, 2014
- Dissertation Completion Fellowship, University of Southern California, 2010 and 2011
- Research Fellowship, Center for Religion and Civic Culture, University of Southern California, 2009
- USC Bannerman Fellowship for Ph.D. in Politics and International Relations, 2005–2010