Käte Hamburger Kolleg / Centre for Global Cooperation Research
Tel: +49 (0)203 29861-130
Fax: +49 (0)203 379-5276
Arild Underdal joined Käte Hamburger Kolleg / Centre for Global Cooperation Research as a Senior Fellow. He conducted his research in Research Unit 1 'The (Im)Possibility of Cooperation' from March to May 2017.
Agent-Based Models of Climate Clubs
Agent-based modelling provides a promising tool for studying the dynamics of complex and heterogeneous systems. Hovi, Sælen, Sprinz and myself have already used this tool in one article on 'climate clubs' published earlier this year (Palgrave Communications) and one recently accepted for publication in British Journal of Political Science. My time at the Käte Hamburger Kolleg/Center for Global Cooperation Research will be invested in working with the other three members of the team to extend and refine the kind of analysis reported in these two articles.
- International Cooperation – Determinants of Success and Failure
- International Negotiations – Determinants of Success and Failure
- Co-evolution of Policies, Practices and Institutions
- Modelling Complex and Dynamic Systems
- Strategic Challenges in International Climate and Energy Policy (CICEP)
- The International Diffusion of Emission Trading Systems
|Since 07/2014||Center for International Climate and Environmental Research (CICERO), Oslo
Research Unit International Climate Policy
|08/2011-06/2014||Center for International Climate and Environmental Research (CICERO), Oslo
Centre for International Climate and Energy Policy (CICEP)
|01/2003-12/2005||University of Oslo
|01/1993-12/1995||University of Oslo
|01/1987-09/2016||University of Oslo
Department of Political Science
|01/1985-12/1986||Norwegian Business School (BI), Oslo
|01/1979-12/1984||University of Oslo
Department of Political Science
Hovi, J., Sælen, H., Sprinz, D., and Underdal, A. (forthcoming): The Club Approach - A Gateway to Effective Climate Cooperation?, British Journal of Political Science.
Bang, G., Underdal, A., and Andresen, S. (eds.) (2015): The Domestic Politics of Climate Change: Key Actors in International Climate Cooperation, Cheltenham, UK: Edward Elgar.
Underdal, A., and Wei, T. (2015): Distributive Fairness: a Mutual Recognition Approach, Environmental Science and Policy 51: 35–44 (open access).
Underdal, A. (2013): Meeting Common Environmental Challenges: The Co-Evolution of Policies and Practices, International Environmental Agreements 13 (1): 15–30.
Hovi, J., Underdal, A., and Ward, H. (2011): Potential Contributions of Political Science to Environmental Economics, Environmental and Resource Economics 48 (3): 391–411.
Breitmeier, H., Underdal, A., and Young, O.R. (2011): The Effectiveness of International Environmental Regimes: Comparing and Contrasting Findings from Quantitative Research, International Studies Review 13 (4): 579–605.
Underdal, A. (2010): Complexity and Challenges of Long-Term Environmental Governance, Global Environmental Change 20 (3): 386–93.
Hovi, J., Sprinz, D.F., and Underdal, A. (2009): Implementing Long-Term Climate Policy: Time Inconsistency, Domestic Politics, and International Anarchy, Global Environmental Politics 9 (3): 20–39.
Underdal, A., and Young, O.R. (eds.) (2004): Regime Consequences: Methodological Challenges and Research Strategies, Dordrecht: Kluwer.
Hovi, J., Sprinz, D.F., and Underdal, A. (2003): The Oslo-Potsdam Solution to Measuring Regime Effectiveness: Critique, Response, and the Road Ahead, Global Environmental Politics 3 (3): 74–96.
Miles, E.L., Underdal, A. et al. (2002): Environmental Regime Effectiveness: Confronting Theory with Evidence, Cambridge, MA: MIT Press.
Andresen, S., Skodvin, T., Underdal, A., and Wettestad, J. (2000): Science and Politics in International Environmental Regimes, Manchester: Manchester University Press.
- Undergraduate courses: Introduction to Political Science, International Politics II, and Casework in International Studies
- Graduate courses: Theories of International Politics, Foreign Policy Decision-Making, International Negotiations, International Environmental Politics, International Energy Politics
- Chair of the Board of Faculty of Social Science and Technolgy Management, Norwegian University of Science and Technology (2013–2016).
- Chair of the Interim Board preparing the merger of the Norwegian University of Life Sciences and the Norwegian School of Veterinary Medicine (2008–2009).
- Chair of the Board of Stockholm Resilience Centre (2007–2013).
- Chair of the Science Advisory Committee of the International Institute of Applied Systems Analysis (IIASA) (2007–2013).
- Member of the Board of the Norwegian School of Management (now: Norwegian Business School) (2006–2012).
- Chair, Government-appointed Committee to Consider Legislation in Defence of Individual Academic Freedom, report published as NOU 2006:19 (2006).
- Member of the Board of Ullevål University Hospital; from 2008 member of the Board of the merged Oslo University Hospital (2005–2010).
- Member of the Board of the University of Århus, Denmark (2004–2006).
- Vice Chair of the Board of the Research Council of Norway (1996–2000); member at large (2003–2006).
- Chair, Government-appointed Committee to Develop Plans for Reorganizing two Established Institutions into the Norwegian University of Science and Technology (1995).
- Several, ranging from events in the national Political Science association to conferences and workshops organized by global organizations such as International Studies Association and the Global Change Program.
- Norwegian Political Science Association
- International Studies Association
- Norwegian Academy of Science and Letters
- Royal Norwegian Society of Sciences and Letters
- Commander of the Royal Norwegian Order of St. Olav (2006)
- Cavaliere Ordine al Merito della Repubblica Italiana (2006)