Käte Hamburger Kolleg / Centre for Global Cooperation Research
Tel: +49 (0)203 379-5230
Fax: +49 (0)203 379-5276
Prof. Dr Pablo Holmes joined the Käte Hamburger Kolleg / Centre for Global Cooperation Research as a Fellow for 6 months. He conducted his research in Research Unit 2 “Global Cultural Conflicts and Transcultural Cooperation” from August 2017 to January 2018.
Global Changes and Transnational Polities: Does Fragmented Post-Democratic Constitutionalization Foster Global Social Exclusion?
The project aims to explore possible critical junctures within transnational legal regimes that may indicate its porosity to the legal semantics of political constitutionalism. Its main goal is to empirically evaluate the theoretical suppositions of transnational constitutional pluralism about the emergence of private functional equivalents to the inclusionary dynamics of democratic constitutionalism in the context of private transnational litigation.
- Constitutional Theory
- Democratic Theory
- Global Governance
- Private Authority
- Political Economy
- Local Traces of the 'Global': Dimensions of Global Governance in Local Public Policies in Brasilia-DF
- The Social Conditions of Constitutionalism in the World Society: Between Functional and Territorial Differentiation of the Global Legal System
|Since 11/2014||University of Brasilia (UnB)
Faculty of Law (Graduate Programme)
Associate Professor (Professor adjunto credenciado - tenured)
|Since 04/2012||University of Brasilia
Institute of Political Science
Associate Professor (Professor adjunto - tenured)
|11/2013-01/2014||University of Bremen, Germany
Centre of European Law and Politics
|04/2008-02/2012||University of Flensburg, Germany
Institute of Sociology
DAAD Dissertation Stipendiate; Dissertation Supervisor: Hauke Brunkhorst
|07/2007-11/2007||Unilegis – Institute of the Brazilian Senate
Graduate Programme for Legislative Studies
Lecturer for Legal Theory
|03/2007-06/2007||Faculdade Salesiana do Nordeste, Brazil
Lecturer for Legal Theory
|03/2005-02/2007||Federal University of Pernambuco, Brazil
Master of Laws
|11/2003-03/2005||Municipality of Recife
Public Health Department
Director for Administrative Contracts
|03/1999-06/2004||Federal University of Pernambuco
Student (Legal Studies)
Holmes, Pablo (forthcoming 2018): Crise da democracia como crise de legitimação: os novos desafios evolutivos do sistema político [Democratic Crisis as Legitimatory Crises: the New Evolutionary Challenges of the Political System], in: Bueno, Roberto (Org): A democracia em crise.
Holmes, Pablo (forthcoming 2017): A semântica da complexidade e sua estrutura social: o materialismo“pós-estruturalista” da teoria dos sistemas [The Semantics of Complexity and its Social Structure: the ‘Poststructuralist Materialism’ of Systems Theory], in: Sociologias.
Holmes, Pablo (2015): Die Grenzen transnationaler Rechtspolitik und die politischen Paradoxien des fragmentierten globalen Konstitutionalismus [The Limits of Transnational Legal Politics and the Political Paradoxes of the Global Fragmented Constitutionalism], in: Zeitschrift für politische Theorie 6: 223–39.
Holmes, Pablo (2015): O constitucionalismo global entre fragmentação e privatização: Problemas evolutivos do direito e da política transnacionais [Global Constitutionalism Between Fragmentation and Privatization: Evolutive Problems of Transnational Law and Politics], in: Dados (Rio de Janeiro) 57: 1137–68.
Holmes, Pablo (2015): Deslocamentos transnacionais da soberania popular: Império e multidão como distinção pós- democrática? [Transnational Transformations of Popular Sovereignty: Empire and Multitude as a Post-Democratic Distinction?], in: Tempo Social (USP) 27: 239–60.
Holmes, Pablo (2014): The Politics of Law and the Laws of Politics: The Political Paradoxes of Transnational Constitutionalism, in: Indiana Journal of Global Legal Studies 21: 553–83.
Holmes, Pablo (2014): Die politische Differenz und die Systemtheorie: Probleme einer soziologischen Verallgemeinerung machttheoretischer Unterscheidungen [The Political Difference and Systems Theory: Problems of a Sociological Generalization of Political Distinctions], in: Soziale Systeme 19: 110–26.
Holmes, Pablo (2013): Verfassungsevolution in der Weltgesellschaft: Differenzierungsprobleme des Rechts und der Politik im Zeitalter der Global Governance [Constitutional Evolution in the World Society: Problems of Differentiation of Law and Politics in the Era of Global Governance], Baden-Baden, Nomos.
Holmes, Pablo (2011): The Rhetoric of ‘Legal Fragmentation’ and its Discontents: Evolutionary Dilemmas in the Constitutional Semantics of Global Law, in: Utrecht Law Review 7 (2): 113–40.
Holmes, Pablo (2009): Briga de família ou ruptura metodológica na teoria crítica (Habermas X Honneth) [A Family Quarrel: Methodological Rupture in Critical Theory (Habermas v. Honneth)], in: Tempo Social (Journal for Sociology of the University of São Paulo) 21 (1): 133–56.
Holmes, Pablo (2009): Reconhecimento e normatividade: a transformação hermenêutica da teoria crítica [Recognition and Normativity: the Hermeneutical Transformation of Social Critical Theory], in: Revista Brasileira de Ciências Sociais [Journal of the Brazilian Association for Social Sciences] 24 (69): 129–207.
Holmes, Pablo (2006): Psicologia Genética e Teoria do Discurso: a fundamentação evolutiva da democracia em Habermas [Genetical Psychology and Theory of Discourse: Habermas’s Evolutive Foundation of Democracy], in: Cadernos de Ética e Filosofia Política (USP) 8: 62–86.
- University of Brasilia, Brasil: Political Science (BA) - Political Theory, Democratic Theory
- University of Brasilia: Political Science (Master) - Political Theory, Regulatory Theory and Global Governance
- University of Brasilia: Law (Master and PhD) - Global Constitutionalism, Social System Theory of the Constitution
- Brazilian Senate: Graduate Programme - Legal Theory
- Federal University of Pernambuco: Law (BA) - Introduction to Law
- Referee for the Brazilian Foundation for the Higher Education Personal (Capes)
- Referee for the journals: Cadernos de Ética e Filosofia Política (USP); Revista Direito GV; Sociedade e Estado (UnB); Dados (Rio de Janeiro); Revista Direito (UnB); Brazilian Political Science Review; European Journal of Cultural and Political Sociology; Capes
- Legal Adviser for the PSOL in the Constitutional Claim (ADI 5680) against the Constitutional Ammendment 95/2016 to the Brazilian Constitution
- Talk at the panel 'Sociology of Constitutions', ISA Congress: Research Committee for Sociology of Law: “From National to Global Settings: is the 'Sociology of Constitutions' on the Move?”, Porto Alegre, Brazil, 2015.
- Key Lecture at the Conference: 'Justice, Democracy and Emotions in Transnational Perspective', University of Pernambuco and University of Frankfurt, Recife, Brazil, 2015.
- Talk at the Second Annual Meeting of the Economics and Politics Research Group, Economics and Politics Research Group UnB, Brasília, Brazil, 2014.
- Comment on the Talk given by Rudolf Stichweh: 'Democracy as Global Model in the World Society?', 2013. Conference: Legal and Constitutional Problems in World Society. Brasília, Brazil, 2014
- Talk at the XXV – World International Congress of the IVR (Internationaler Verein für Rechts- und Sozialphilosophie): Law, Science, Technology, Title: "The Political in Transnational Constitutionalism: the Democratic Paradox in the Era of Global Law", University of Frankfurt, Germany, August 2011.
- Talk at the 'International DAAD-Workshop: Law and Politics in the Process of Globalization and Europeanization', Title: 'Democratic Causality: Global Constitutionalism and the Political in the World Law', Flensburg University, Germany, July 2011.
- Talk at the Critical Legal Conference, Title: 'Social Exclusion and Global Constitutionalism', University of Utrecht, Netherlands, September 2010.
- Brazilian Association of Political Science
- Law and Society Association
- Research Committee on Sociology of Law - ISA
- Brazilian Network for Legal Empirical Research
- Approved in the Exams of the Brazilian Bar Association (OAB)
- Grant by the Brazilian Ministry of Education for developing a project on 'Politics and Cinema' at the University of Brasilia (US$ 20.000), 2015
- Grant by Capes – Brazilian Agency for the cooperation programme PROBRAL – CAPES/DAAD – together with Prof. Marcelo Neves (Law School), 2013
- Grant and stipend by the Mellow Foundation - National Humanities Center - Research Triangle Park for the summer institute 'A Reflection on Sources and Methods in Researching and Teaching Global Governance', Bloogmington University, Indiana, USA, 2012
- Grant and stipend by the Alexander von Humboldt Stiftung for attending the Summer School 'Regulating World Society: Law, Governance and the Quest for Global Justice' at the Wissenschaftskolleg zu Berlin – WIKO, Germany, 2011
- Grant by Harvard Law School for attending the Workshop 'Institute of Global Law and Policy' for two weeks at the Harvard Law School, June 2010
- Full Scholarship for PhD studies in Germany granted by the DAAD (German Service of Academic Exchange), 2007