Käte Hamburger Kolleg / Centre for Global Cooperation Research
Tel: +49 (0)203 379-5230
Fax: +49 (0)203 379-5276
Prof. Dr Anja Jetschke conducted her research as a Senior Fellow within the framework of the joint fellowship programme 'Trans-border Cooperation in East Asia at the Regional/Global Interface' of the Institute of East-Asian Studies (IN-EAST) and the Käte Hamburger Kolleg/Centre for Global Cooperation Research from Oktober 2017 to March 2018.
Trans-Border Cooperation in East Asia at the Regional/Global Interface
According to many observers, Asia has seen an unprecedented creation of international institutions since the early 1990s. While this trend is remarkable, equally notable is that Asia remains, by standard indicators of delegation to international institutions (Lenz et al. 2015), a region tending towards low levels of the transfer of sovereignty and legal bindingness (Kahler 2000).
This observation is counter-intuitive for theories of functional institution-building, as Asia belongs to the regions exhibiting very high levels of regional cross-border exchange (Jetschke and Katada 2016). Moreover, Asia as region features a number ofinnovative institutional design characteristics that appear to be unique from acomparative regionalism perspective.
Building on a number of data gathering efforts on regional international institutions, this research proposal systematically compares the institutional design characteristics of regional institutions in Asia with other regional institutions 1) to explain where institutional design comes from and why they tend toward low levels of institutionalization; 2) to evaluate how unique Asian institutions are compared to other regional organizations; and 3) to explore the interaction between regional and global institutional arrangements.
- Institutional Design of International and Regional Organisations
- Comparative Regionalism Research
- International Courts of Justice
- International Relations in and of Asia
- 'The Devil is in the Details: The Positions of the BRICS regarding R2P and UN Security Council Reform' (with Pascal Abb), book chapter for edited volume by Michael Zürn and Matthew Stephens (to be submitted to Oxford University Press)
- 'Explaining the Spread of EU-style Regional Courts' (with Alex Burilkov and Patrick Theiner), article for special issue of European Journal of International Law, edited by Damian Chalmers
- 'Does Regional Peacekeeping Challenge the UN System of Collective Security? A Global Analysis of UN and Regional Peacekeeping Trends' (with Bernd Schlipphak), under review
- 'The Alternative Origins of Regional Human Rights Institutions: Refugees, Negative Externalities and Regional Human Rights Commitment in Southeast Asia' (with Alex Burilkov)
- 'The Comparative Regional Organizations Project (CROP)' (with Patrick Theiner, Claudia Marggraf and Soeren Muench)
- 'A Bird’s Eye View of the Elephant' (with Patrick Theiner, Claudia Marggraf and Soeren Muench)
- 'Between Interests, Identities and Necessity: Explaining Military Interventions by Regional Organizations' (with Bernd Schlipphak)
|Since 04/2012||University of Göttingen, Germany
Faculty of Social Sciences
Professor of Political Science and International Relations
|02/2012-11/2015||GIGA German Institute of Global and Area Studies Hamburg, Germany
Head of Research Program 4 'Power, Norms and Governance in International Relations'
|03/2011-02/2012||GIGA German Institute of Global and Area Studies Hamburg
Graduate School for the Study of Rising Powers
|04/2005-03/2006||University of Bremen, Germany
Department of Political Science
Professor of International Relations (temporary position)
|05/2000-02/2011||University of Freiburg, Germany
Department of Political Science
Assistant Professor (C1)
|06/1995-05/1999||University of Konstanz, Germany
Faculty of Administrative Sciences
Faculty of Administrative Science
|1998-2001||European University Institute (EUI) Florence, Italy
Social and Political Science Department
PhD, 'International Human Rights Norms, Transnational Human Rights Networks and Domestic Political Change in Indonesia and the Philippines'
|1989-1995||Freie Universität Berlin, Germany
Department of Political and Social Science
Diplom (MA equivalent) in Political Science
Jetschke, Anja (2017): Internationale Beziehungen. Eine Einführung, <International Relations. An Introduction>, Reihe Bachelor-Wissen, Tübingen: Gunter Narr Verlag.
Jetschke, Anja (2017): What Drives Institutional Reforms in Regional Organisations? Diffusion, Contextual Conditions, and the Modular Design of ASEAN, TRaNS: Trans-Regional and -National Studies of Southeast Asia.
Jetschke, Anja / Katada, Saori (2016): Asia, in: Börzel, Tanja / Risse, Thomas (eds.): Handbook of Comparative Regionalism, Oxford: Oxford University Press.
Jetschke, Anja et al. (2015): Roundtable: Studying Asian and Comparative Regionalism through Amitav Acharya’s Work, in: International Relations of the Asia Pacific 15 (3): 537–66, doi: 10.1093/irap/lcv005.
Jetschke, Anja / Lenz, Tobias (2013): Does Regionalism Diffuse? A New Research Agenda for the Study of Regional Organizations, in: Journal of European Public Policy 20 (4): 13–20.
Jetschke, Anja / Liese, Andrea (2013): The Power of Human Rights a Decade After: From Euphoria to Contestation?, in: Risse, Thomas / Ropp, Stephen C. / Sikkink, Kathryn (eds.): The Persistent Power of Human Rights: From Commitment to Compliance, Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 26–42.
Jetschke, Anja / Murray, Philomena (2012): Diffusing Regional Integration: The EU and East Asia, in: West European Politics 35 (1): 174–91.
Jetschke, Anja / Lenz, Tobias (2011): Vergleichende Regionalismusforschung und Diffusion: Eine neue Forschungsagenda <Comparative Regionalism Research and Diffusion: a New Research Agenda>, in: Politische Vierteljahresschrift 52 (3): 448–74.
Jetschke, Anja (2011): Human Rights and State Security: Indonesia and the Philippines, Philadelphia: University of Pennsylvania Press (refereed).
Jetschke, Anja / Engert, Stefan (2011) (eds.): Transitional Justice 2.0, Special Issue of the Journal Die Friedens–Warte, Journal of International Peace and Organization.
Jetschke, Anja / Rüland, Jürgen (2008, eds.): 40 Years of ASEAN: Perspectives, Performance and Lessons for Change, Special Issue, The Pacific Review 21 (4).
Jetschke, Anja / Risse, Thomas / Schmitz, Hans-Peter (2002): Die Macht der Menschenrechte. Internationale Normen, kommunikatives Handeln und politischer Wandel in Ländern des Südens <The Power of Human Rights. International Norms, Communicative Behaviour and Political Change in the Countries of the South>, Baden-Baden: Nomos.
- University of Göttingen, Department of Political Science
- University of Freiburg, Department of Political Science
- Freie Universität Berlin, Department of Political and Social Sciences
- University of Bremen and International University Bremen, Department of Political Science
- Reviewer for journals and publishers:
Conflict Management and Peace Science, Contemporary Politics, Contemporary Southeast Asian Affairs, Current Politics and Economics of Asia, Die Friedens-Warte, European Union Politics (EUP), International Politics, International Studies Review, International Studies Quarterly (ISQ), Journal of Common Market Studies (JCMS), Journal of European Integration (JEI), Journal of European Public Policy (JEPP), Journal of International Relations and Development (JIRD), Law and Society Review, Palgrave MacMillan, Politische Vierteljahresschrift (PVS), Regions and Cohesion, Review of International Affairs, Review of International Studies (RIS), Routledge, Südostasien Aktuell, World Politics, World Scientific Publishers, Zeitschrift für Friedens- und Konfliktforschung (ZeFKo), Zeitschrift für Europäische Integration (ZEI), Zeitschrift für Internationale Beziehungen (ZIB), Zeitschrift für Politikwissenschaft, Zeitschrift für Vergleichende Politikwissenschaft (ZfVP)
- External reviewer for the European Parliament, 2017
- Reviewer European Research Council, 2014
- Reviewer Social Sciences and Humanities Council of Canada, 2014
- External evaluation of the BA- and MA-Studies Programs in Political Science at the University of Frankfurt, March 2014
- Co-Chair of the Thematic Research Group 'Comparative Regionalism Research' of the German Political Science Association (DVPW), December 2012–October 2015
- Chair of the Society of Women in International Political Economy (SWIPE) of the International Studies Association, 2012–2013
- Co-Chair of the Working Group 'Conflicts, Cooperation, and Democratization in Asia' of the Social Science College 'Society and State in Transition' of the Studienstiftung des Deutschen Volkes, 2009–2011
- Co-Chair of the Young Scholars’ Section of International Relations, 2002–2004
- ISA: 'Assessement of ASEAN Integration', Workshop NEOMA Business School, Paris, June 2017.
- 'London School of Economics – Southeast Asia Forum', London School of Economics, May 2017.
- 'The Alternative Origins of Regional Human Rights Institutions: Refugees, Negative Externalities and Regional Human Rights Commitment in Southeast Asia', Talk at Department of Political Science, National University of Singapore, March 2017.
- 'Do Refugees make ASEAN Rethink Human Rights', Talk at the Walter S. Shorenstein Asia-Pacific Research Center, Stanford University, January 2017.
- 'Maritime Territorial Disputes In The Asia Pacific Region: A Critical Appraisal', Workshop, Ghent University, April 2017.
- ISA-Asia Pacific, Joint Meeting of the Austrian, German and Swiss Political Science Associations, 2016.
- 'Contested World Order Project', WZB Berlin Social Science Center, July 2016.
- 'Institutional Designs of Regional Organizations and Regional Courts', Workshop on 'Regional and Constitutional Structures in Tension', Université de Genéve, April 2016.
- 'The Comparative Regional Organizations Project', Workshop on 'Text Analysis and the Study of International Institutions', Freie Universität Berlin, January 2016.
- 'The Modular Design of International Institutions', Keynote Speech at the CEDI Conference, Mainz, November 2016.
- European Alliance for Asian Studies, Université de Lyon, May 2016.
- ISA: Comparative Politics Meeting of the German Political Science Association (Hamburg), Congress of the German Political Science Association (Duisburg), 2015.
- 'Who Created the ASEAN Communities', Talk at the International Conference 'Assessing the ASEAN Communities', Seoul, South Korea, October 2015.
- Presentation of the Oxford Handbook on Comparative Regionalism, Singapore, October 2015.
- Summer School on Comparative Regionalism, jointly organized by UNU-CRIS and GIGA Hamburg, Quito, Ecuador, July 2015.
- Discussant at the Young Scholars’ Annual Conference of the German Association for Asian Studies (Deutsche Gesellschaft für Asienkunde), January 2015.
- ISA, FLACSO-ISA, IR-Section Meeting of the German Political Science Association (Magdeburg), 2014.
- Faculty member in charge of internationalization, since October 2015
- Elected deputy member of the faculty council, since October 2015
- Deputy member of the financial committee, since October 2015
- Member of the selection committee for the Master Programme 'Global Politics: Structures and Boundaries', since October 2015
- Deputy director of the Department of Political Science, University of Göttingen, October 2013–March 2014
- Member of the Research Council of the GIGA German Institute of Global and Area Studies, March 2013–November 2015
- Member of various selection committees for full professorships at the University of Göttingen (Political Science, Sociology), since 2013
- Cecil B. Currey Book Award 2011: Association for Third World Studies, for Human Rights and State Security: Indonesia and the Philippines (University of Pennsylvania Press)
- 'Are Regional Organizations Contagious? – The Diffusion of Institutional Designs of Regional Organizations', Research Grant, German Research Foundation (DFG), 2015–2018
- Conference Grant of the Fritz Thyssen Foundation for the Conference 'De-Centering Regional Power: Non-State Actors and Global Power Shifts', 2011
- Associated researcher of the project 'Grounding Area Studies in Social Practice', financed by the Federal Ministry of Education and Research, University of Freiburg, 2009–2013
- Travel Grant, German Research Foundation (DFG), 2009
- 'Decoupling of Rhetorical Cooperation and Practice in International Organizations', funded by the Ministry of Science, Culture and Arts of the State of Baden-Württemberg (Margarete-von-Wrangell Fellowship), funding of own full time position, 2008-2011
- Travel Grant, German Research Foundation (DFG), 2005