Käte Hamburger Kolleg / Centre for Global Cooperation Research
Tel: +49 (0)203 379-5230
Fax: +49 (0)203 379-5276
- governing a more global world
- governing the global Internet
- legitimacy and legitimation in global governance
- civil society and global politics
- building global democracy
- methodologies of global research
- Global Cooperation and Polycentric Governance, Centre for Global Cooperation Research, 2018–2020
- Legitimacy in Global Governance, Riksbankens Jubileumsfond, 2016–2021
- Legitimacy outside the State: Governing the Global Internet, Swedish Research Council, 2018–2020
|Since 2018||Käte Hamburger Kolleg/ Centre for Global Cooperation Research, Duisburg
|Since 2018||Legitimacy outside the State: Governing the Global Internet
|Since 2016||Legitimacy in Global Governance Programme
|Since 2013||University of Gothenburg, Sweden
School of Global Studies
Professor in Peace and Development
|2011-2013||Global Research Priorities in Global Governance
|2008-2014||Building Global Democracy Programme
|2001-2015||University of Warwick, UK
Department of Politics and International Studies
|2006-2008||Civil Society and Accountable Global Governance Project
|2003-2007||ESRC Centre for the Study of Globalisation and Regionalisation
|2001-2005||Civil Society and Democracy in the Global Economy Project
|2000-2002||Civil Society and Global Finance Project
|1999-2001||University of Warwick, UK
Reader in International Studies
|1997-1998||Institute of Social Studies, The Hague, NL
Senior Lecturer in International Studies
|1985-1996||University of Sussex, UK
(Senior) Lecturer in International Relations
Tallberg, Jonas, Bäckstrand, Karin, Scholte, Jan Aart (eds.) (2018): Legitimacy in Global Governance: Sources, Processes, and Consequences, Oxford: Oxford University Press.
Scholte, Jan Aart (2017): A New Global Development Agenda? Special Issue of Forum for Development Studies (edited with Fredrik Söderbaum), 44, 1, ISSN 0803-9410.
Scholte, Jan Aart (2017): Polycentrism and Democracy in Internet Governance, in Uta Kohl (ed.), The Net and the Nation State: Multidisciplinary Perspectives on Internet Governance. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, pp. 165-84.
Scholte, Jan Aart (2016): Whither Global Theory? In: ProtoSociology, Vol. 33, pp. 213-24.
Scholte, Jan Aart et al. (2016): New Rules for Global Justice. London: Rowman & Littlefield International.
Scholte, Jan Aart (2015): Global Cooperation through Cultural Diversity: Remaking Democracy? Duisburg: Centre for Global Cooperation Research (Global Dialogues 8).
Scholte, Jan Aart (2014): Reinventing Global Democracy in: European Journal of International Relations, vol. 20, no. 1, pp. 3-28.
Scholte, Jan Aart (2013): Civil Society and Financial Markets: What Is Not Happening and Why, in: Journal of Civil Society, vol. 9, no. 2, pp. 129-47.
Scholte, Jan Aart (2012): A More Inclusive Global Governance? The IMF and Civil Society in Africa, in: Global Governance, vol. 18, no. 2 , pp. 185-206.
Scholte, Jan Aart (2012): Poor People in Rich Countries: The Roles of Global Governance, in: Global Social Policy, vol. 12, no. 1 , pp. 3-23.
Scholte, Jan Aart (2011): Building Global Democracy? Civil Society and Accountable Global Governance (eds.), Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.
Scholte, Jan Aart (2011): Towards Greater Legitimacy in Global Governance, Review of International Political Economy, vol. 18, no. 1, pp. 110-20.
Scholte, Jan Aart (2010): Governing a More Global World, in: Corporate Governance, vol. 10, no. 4, pp. 459-74.
Scholte, Jan Aart (2009): Global Civil Society Yearbook 2008-9: Poverty and Activism (co-editor), London: Sage, Reconstructing Contemporary Democracy’, Indiana Journal of Global Legal Studies, vol. 15, no. 1, pp. 305-50.
Scholte, Jan Aart (2007): Civil Society and the Legitimation of Global Governance, Journal of Civil Society, vol. 3, no. 3 , pp. 305-26.
Scholte, Jan Aart (2005): Globalization: A Critical Introduction. Basingstoke: Palgrave Macmillan, 2005 second and 2000 first edition (six translations).
Scholte, Jan Aart (2004): Civil Society and Democratically Accountable Global Governance, Government and Opposition, vol. 39, no. 2, pp. 211-33.
Scholte, Jan Aart (2002): Civil Society and Democracy in Global Governance, Global Governance, vol. 8, no. 3, pp. 281-304.
Scholte, Jan Aart, Robert O'Brien, Anne-Marie Goetz, Marc Williams (2000): Contesting Global Governance: Multilateral Economic Institutions and Global Social Movements, Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.
Scholte, Jan Aart (1997): Global Capitalism and the State, International Affairs, vol. 73, no. 3, pp. 427–52.
- Professor in Peace and Development, School of Global Studies, University of Gothenburg, since 2013
- Professor, Department of Politics and International Studies, University of Warwick, 2001-2015
- Reader in International Studies, University of Warwick, 1999–2001
- Senior Lecturer in International Studies, Institute of Social Studies, The Hague, 1997–98
- (Senior) Lecturer in International Relations, University of Sussex, 1985–96
- Visiting positions in Germany, India, Russia, Sweden, Uganda, UK, USA
- Advisor to governments of Canada, France, Germany, Mexico, Netherlands, Poland, UK
- Advisor to global/regional agencies Commonwealth, Council of Europe, EU, ICANN, IMF, UN, UNESCO, UNRISD, World Bank, WTO
- Advisor to civil society associations across all continents
- Advisor to foundations and research councils/programmes
- Presentations in 52 countries
- Mass media interviews in 25 countries
- Member of advisory boards in 13 countries
- Lead editor, Global Governance, 2005-9; member of 14 other journal editorial boards
- Research Funding: Ford Foundation, Nuffield Foundation, International Development Research Centre, Oxfam Novib, Swedish International Development Cooperation Agency, Swedish Research Council, UK Economic and Social Research Council, United Nations University, World Vision, KHK/Centre for Global Cooperation Research, Riksbankens Jubileumsfond.