Käte Hamburger Kolleg/ Centre for Global Cooperation Research, Duisburg
Legitimacy outside the State: Governing the Global Internet
Legitimacy in Global Governance Programme
University of Gothenburg, Sweden
School of Global Studies
Professor in Peace and Development
Global Research Priorities in Global Governance
Project Leadership Coordinator
Building Global Democracy Programme
Project Leadership Convener
University of Warwick, UK
Department of Politics and International Studies Professor
Civil Society and Accountable Global Governance Project
ESRC Centre for the Study of Globalisation and Regionalisation
Civil Society and Democracy in the Global Economy Project
Civil Society and Global Finance Project
University of Warwick, UK
Reader in International Studies
Institute of Social Studies, The Hague, NL
Senior Lecturer in International Studies
University of Sussex, UK
(Senior) Lecturer in International Relations
- Professor in Peace and Development, School of Global Studies, University of Gothenburg, since 2013
- Professor, Department of Politics and International Studies, University of Warwick, 2001-2015
- Reader in International Studies, University of Warwick, 1999–2001
- Senior Lecturer in International Studies, Institute of Social Studies, The Hague, 1997–98
- (Senior) Lecturer in International Relations, University of Sussex, 1985–96
- Visiting positions in Germany, India, Russia, Sweden, Uganda, UK, US
Expertise and Consulting Work
- Advisor to governments of Canada, France, Germany, Mexico, Netherlands, Poland, UK
- Advisor to global/regional agencies Commonwealth, Council of Europe, EU, ICANN, IMF, UN, UNESCO, UNRISD, World Bank, WTO
- Advisor to civil society associations across all continents
- Advisor to foundations and research councils/programmes
- Member of advisory boards in 13 countries
- Lead editor, Global Governance, 2005-9; member of 14 other journal editorial boards
- Research Funding: Ford Foundation, Nuffield Foundation, International Development Research Centre, Oxfam Novib, Swedish International Development Cooperation Agency, Swedish Research Council, UK Economic and Social Research Council, United Nations University, World Vision, KHK/Centre for Global Cooperation Research, Riksbankens Jubileumsfond.
Tallberg, Jonas, Bäckstrand, Karin, Scholte, Jan Aart (eds.) (2018): Legitimacy in Global Governance: Sources, Processes, and Consequences, Oxford: Oxford University Press.
Scholte, Jan Aart (2017): A New Global Development Agenda? Special Issue of Forum for Development Studies (edited with Fredrik Söderbaum), 44, 1, ISSN 0803-9410.
Scholte, Jan Aart (2017): Polycentrism and Democracy in Internet Governance, in Uta Kohl (ed.), The Net and the Nation State: Multidisciplinary Perspectives on Internet Governance. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, pp. 165-84.
Scholte, Jan Aart (2016): Whither Global Theory? In: ProtoSociology, Vol. 33, pp. 213-24.
Scholte, Jan Aart et al. (2016): New Rules for Global Justice. London: Rowman & Littlefield International.
Scholte, Jan Aart (2015): Global Cooperation through Cultural Diversity: Remaking Democracy? Duisburg: Centre for Global Cooperation Research (Global Dialogues 8).
Scholte, Jan Aart (2014): Reinventing Global Democracy in: European Journal of International Relations, vol. 20, no. 1, pp. 3-28.
Scholte, Jan Aart (2013): Civil Society and Financial Markets: What Is Not Happening and Why, in: Journal of Civil Society, vol. 9, no. 2, pp. 129-47.
Scholte, Jan Aart (2012): A More Inclusive Global Governance? The IMF and Civil Society in Africa, in: Global Governance, vol. 18, no. 2 , pp. 185-206.
Scholte, Jan Aart (2012): Poor People in Rich Countries: The Roles of Global Governance, in: Global Social Policy, vol. 12, no. 1 , pp. 3-23.
Scholte, Jan Aart (2011): Building Global Democracy? Civil Society and Accountable Global Governance (eds.), Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.
Scholte, Jan Aart (2011): Towards Greater Legitimacy in Global Governance, Review of International Political Economy, vol. 18, no. 1, pp. 110-20.
Scholte, Jan Aart (2010): Governing a More Global World, in: Corporate Governance, vol. 10, no. 4, pp. 459-74.
Scholte, Jan Aart (2009): Global Civil Society Yearbook 2008-9: Poverty and Activism (co-editor), London: Sage, Reconstructing Contemporary Democracy’, Indiana Journal of Global Legal Studies, vol. 15, no. 1, pp. 305-50.
Scholte, Jan Aart (2007): Civil Society and the Legitimation of Global Governance, Journal of Civil Society, vol. 3, no. 3 , pp. 305-26.
Scholte, Jan Aart (2005): Globalization: A Critical Introduction. Basingstoke: Palgrave Macmillan, 2005 second and 2000 first edition (six translations).
Scholte, Jan Aart (2004): Civil Society and Democratically Accountable Global Governance, Government and Opposition, vol. 39, no. 2, pp. 211-33.
Scholte, Jan Aart (2002): Civil Society and Democracy in Global Governance, Global Governance, vol. 8, no. 3, pp. 281-304.
Scholte, Jan Aart, Robert O'Brien, Anne-Marie Goetz, Marc Williams (2000): Contesting Global Governance: Multilateral Economic Institutions and Global Social Movements, Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.
Scholte, Jan Aart (1997): Global Capitalism and the State, International Affairs, vol. 73, no. 3, pp. 427–52.